Please help!!!!! RIP dear one

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good to hear good news, he's fighting back; baby steps 'cause he's so small :D

I hope to hear that he starts to recover. Be sure to talk to Tracie about the medication, as she's an expert about that.

Have a good day, thinks for keeping us updated & so glad Spike's responding again. Beardies are very resilient animals & Spike has lots of spunk.

Talk to you soon,
Deb and my awake dragons, still sleepy though...

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Jane-then I would not give him the baytril tomorrow either til Tracie gets more back to you (I strongly feel the baytril is the turn for the worst/ ---
Barb and Tracie--wouldnt you possibly agree since he had made an improvement, had a head shed and then had his meds and is like this now? It is so heartbreaking to see this story. I am trying to see exactly how far she is from my house as Media is (I think 1.5hrs from me) if it is only 45 mins I will go but I want you ladies to tell me what to look for!!!!!
Jane--I PM'd both you and tracie. Go Spike!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I've never responded to this thread but I have been watching it. I hope spike will make a full recovery. We are praying for you, your family and spike (yes, God loves beardies, too).

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Jane me and Aztec are still saying prayers for you and Spike. Aztec too is on a bumpy road and so knows eactly how Spike feels and I am sure you and I are in the same boat as well. Keep on trying your doing great!!!! No matter what you love him and sometimes that is the best medicine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jane,

How is Spike doing today?
Any improvements today that you have noticed, you mentioned that he might be a little more alert? How do his eyes look today?
Is he basking?
I have finally confirmed the medication dose. After several PM's back & forth, I can confirm that he did get the correct dose since it was further diluted from an "original" stronger base, than what I was understanding her to say, thank goodness! He was dosed at the 5mg/kg though, while it is conservative I do feel it is too much for him. However, the Baytril should not be given any more right now & am pretty sure that is what has been decided thus far. He is SO small & has such little weight, he got prescribed the Baytril with no confirmation of any infection.
She said that she was going to go try & find some pedialyte to get some fluids into him. I am sure that she will update us all later.

Tracie

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, so Spike just had his second pedialyte soak for the day. He only drank a tiny bit but I made sure he soaked for 25 minutes. He ate a tiny bit more on his own today but I still had to feed him. His eyes are open but sometimes just a crack n they r not really bright but at least I can see them! He is holding his head up more than the past few days n at one point today his tail was up like a flag!

I can't believe it tho. He was so limp n still in my hand and there is some improvement! His color was really dull n grayish. My son was crying so loud n begging Spike not to go and almost immediately Spike opened his eyes, lifted his head n then stood up! It was like Spike didn't want the kids to be upset n realized he had a little more fight in him! He tuckered out pretty quickly but I'll gladly let him rest rather than have to mourn him. He's been semi-alert and has spent a good amount of time with his head up and arms straight, holding himself up.

He didn't bask alot but he stays just off to the side of his basking area. He doesn't hide (which I hope is a good sign). He is basking now be/c he's chilly from his bath. During his bath, he did run to the side of the tubby and scratch n jump a bit to be let out. It's very confusing sometimes. I am relieved one minute n then the next I wonder if he's just resting or getting worse. But so far, so good.

I am not putting him back on the baytril at all. No way. We didn't have any luck today with the jumpstart but I am going to try somewhere else tomorrow. Spike has his fluid injection at 10 n we will go from there! I think it is all of ur prayers n thoughts that r helping him have baby steps in the right direction. I never thought it would be so emotionally draining! I feel like I m in a daze half the time. If anything changes, I will let u know n I will definitely update after I speak with the vet. Thank u all. U r truly amazing people.

surgerising

Hatchling Member
On my way to bed but wanted to say I hope the morning brings you a more alert little man. Keep doing what your doing, everyone here is the best. They help so much and i wouldnt have made it as far with my rescues if it werent for the wonderful group here. Hoping when I get home tomarrow I read good news about spike.

Hugs and many prayers.

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh, I don't know what to do! Spike looks terrible this morning. His colors are really dark and he has dark stress marks covering his belly. He never came down from his tree but when I held him the stress marks faded somewhat. Is there anything I can do? I m terrified.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
Have u tried to get him to eat any Wax worms?When Malibu is on one of her many hunger strikes i go get wax worms n she loves them.A warm bath n a good snuggle.Oh n do not think u are crazy to talk to him we all talk to our beardies.Malibu knows her name.

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Jane--How is Spike doing now? Did he have his fluid injection? As far as his color and looking so bad, has it gotten an better since he has warmed up?
The parazap is now in Media and will be delivered soon if it hasn't been already. I am still so frustrated it didn't get there on Friday :banghead: :banghead: i am still hopeful that maybe it will help and will soothe Spike's tummy.
Please call if you need to!!
Hugs-
Cindy & Kiera

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
so we r back from the vet. we didn't get to speak to the vet be/c he was in surgery. spike received his fluids but he is extremely lethargic. he's snuggled in his blankie in my hand. his color is much better but he looks si tired. every once in a while he opens his eyes almost like he's checking we r still here n then he closes them again. spike pooped in my son's hand this morning so i was able to take a good stool sample. he wouldn't eat this morning n now i have to wait a few hours be/c of the fluid injection. the vet is going to call me when he gets out of surgery. i just wish there was something else i could try. watching n waiting for now. thank u guys so much for all the luv n support. we would b lost without u.

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
I am relieved to hear that his color looks better!! When you get the parazap...you make a tea with it. I would just make up a half batch or even a quarter batch of it rather than a full batch because once it is made, it is only good for 24 hours. The full batch recipe is this...
Lizards, geckos, iguanas, etc: Bring 2/3 C. of water to boil. Stir in rounded tsp. of ParaZap. Allow to cool. Most of the solids will sink to the bottom. Pour off the liquid. Administer tea with eyedropper or ParaZap's modified syringe so you can gauge how much is being consumed. (ex. 3cc or more for a lizard the size of an adult bearded dragon.) Offer ParaZap twice a day, morning and night. Then just syringe it into him.

So I would use half of 1/3 C of water, and 1/4 tsp of the parazap...that way the powder will last you longer.
Hugs-
Cindy & Kiera

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
JAne
He probably is tired he is stressed probably from the meds, his fluid injection, and all that is going on in his little life. Hang in there. Glad his colors are better than this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom