please help new to beardies and he was just sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
help!! my brand new beardy just got today was sick he just threw up all the meal worms that i fed him earlier i fed him about half three its now 11 o'clock and he was sick about 20 minutes ago is he ok his tale is pointing upwards aswell the temp at his basking site is 43oC it has a thermostat attached to the bulb wich switches the bulb off every 5 minutes or so could this be the probem please help really worried also had a long journey home from the shop at my parents which took about three hours the shop said this would be ok but could it have hurt him :cry: :cry:

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
How old is your beardie? You might also want to go over your set up (substrate, type of uvb etc..) . It could be stress from relocation or if your beardie is a baby it could be the mealworms themselves, as babies should not have mealworms due to impaction risk.

Robin

BenGatenby

Original Poster
right the beardie (drazil by the way) is 2 months old like i say the heater is on a thermostat set on 43oC its a 100w bulb and the thermostat switches it off when the basking site hits this temp and back on if it drops by .5 oC its housed on paper towel the bulb is a reptisun 10.0 if you need anymore info to help me out just ask i'll be on at least once a day to check for replys thank you for your help guys really worried about drazil :(

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
What are you checking your temps with? sometimes if you are using a stickon it's been know to be as much as 20 degrees off either way, in which case your beardie probably had a combination of relocation stress and temps that were off. If their temps are off it can upset their stomachs. I had that happen to me with Zoom Zoom the first full day she was with us but she has gone from 22grams and 8 inches long the end of September of 08 to 161 grams today and about 12.25 inches long. She's not growing as fast as I think she should but she is growing.

The best thing to check the temps with is a temp gun or a digital thermometer with probe.

BenGatenby

Original Poster
the thermostat has built in thermometer (digital) so the temps are correct to the best of my knowledge but he was not at this temp during relocation so I'm assuming that that was the problem is he old enough for the worms or am i feeding them to him too young? :(

its 7pm the next day and he seems fine today has only eaten a small amount of food though but thats normal after relocation right?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It should be. However, the thing you use the keep the temps correct could be measuring the ambient temps and that could be as much as 20 degrees off either way. I've never used anything to keep the temps at one level so I wouldn't know how well it works. I just know that if the temps are off it can upset a baby beardie's stomach, as it did for Zoom Zoom 3 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom