PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Please, the vets its colsed unitil morning and im not sure what to do. I had Gizmo out today, she ran around,sat with me and was very happy. I cooked dinner, went to stroke her afterward, and one of her toenails was missing!

It looks very red and she hates me touching it, im worried it may be the quick, or nerve ending. I have given it a dip in diluted benodine (iodine) but she just really keeps trying to get away from me. Her colours are still very happy, but she has been curling her toe up, i assume so not to use it.

Has anyone had this happen? I feel like such a bad owner, as i didnt notice when she did it, i have no idea how this happened! :( :( :(

Please help anyone!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry to hear that happened. Is the whole nail missing? Is it swollen? Is only the area red where the nail came off or the whole toe? Doing the Betadine bath was a good idea. You could put a triple antibiotic on it like Neosporin and even try wrapping gauze around the foot if it seems to bother her when she steps on it. Also, make sure that you don't have a loose substrate in the tank because you wouldn't want that to irritate it any further. Keep us updated, ok?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
No the toe isnt swolled, and nearly all of the nail is gone, thre seems to be a shard in the nail bed, kinda looks like the nail has been pushed in, but i think snapped off and this is the remnants.

I dont have any antibiotic ointemnts here, im in the UK, and its 8pm on a sunday so everywhere is closed! Im gonna drive to the vets at 8am when they open and just wait for someone i think!

She got very tetchy and hissed vey loadly at me (my BF heard it across the room) so i popped her back, its bedtime now and shes getting cumfy, so i dont want to disrupt her.

I use tile and reptile carpet, so no probs there.

I feel like i want to cry, i feel sooo bad, shes been through so much this year! And were going on holiday next week, shes staying at the pet shop ( i had NO choice) and i only trust them to feed her, last time she lost a nail, it was because she broke her toe there! cut the blod supply off and it just fell out!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since she reacted that way it has to be bothering her so having a vet look at it is a good idea.

Would you be able to find someone to feed and check on her while still in your home? That would be best if you can make the arrangements.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
No, we dont have any firends in the close area, and the only person i would trust is away also! It really pains me to leave her there, but i have no choice!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's too bad. I wonder if there is anyone on the forum that lives closeby you?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Im friendly with one of the herp guys there, and the manager, ill explain whats happened and what needs to be done (im sure the iodine washes will continue for a while) and im sure they will be fine. They have been given awards for taking care of the animals they have, and all their animals are well taken care of, well beardies anyway, i wouldnt know about the rest. Im sure what happened last time was a bad experience, but she was post brummination and had spring fever. App they took all her furiture out as they thought she would harm herself!

She is snuggled now and is going to sleep, but i feel sooo bad as she is in pain. I feel like a distressed mother, well she is my baby!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok, so even though she seemed to be in alot of pain last night, she seemed ok this morning. I gave her a bath, but she refused to put her foot in it, it was like a really fast arm wave, so i just held her some in, some out.

When we got to the vets, he poked and prodded till the cows came home and she didnt flinch once! (yes i felt like a hypocondriact sp??) He says it looks like a new nail in there, but it may be some dried up quick. He has given some iodine to keep it clean this week!

She got some butters for being such a brave girl! im not letting her in the living room again because i think she got it traped between the floorboards, and i dont want this to happen again!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you !

She really dosnt like getting any liquid near it, it must sting her, but she is using her foot and everything!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor thing, hopefully it will feel better real soon. It's a good sign that she is using her foot.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Buggsy,

I saw that Gizmo has hurt her toe and was wondering how she is doing? I hope she heals quickly for you.
These little beardies are so good at making us crazy with worry. :wink:

I noticed that today is your birthday and just wanted to say.......

happy25252520birthday.jpg

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ah bless you! thank you very much thats sweet! :D :D :D

Gizmo is ok, she can now put her foot in water without throwing a fit! so i think she is slowly healing! she still runs when she sees me with the iodine (benodine diluted) but i think thats just because shes never liked it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom