PLEASE HELP IS THIS TAIL ROT (SICK BEARDIE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahechme

Original Poster
Thanks for the information just to confirm I took him to the vet because he stopped eating then they gave me the medications because they told me the symptoms all led up to parasites they could not get a stool sample because he was not pooping the last poop he had taken was in side of his soap and it was not solid then all he did was start peeing and I'm guessing that's because there was no food in his system or there's something backed up in his intestines I have given him probiotics today hopefully that helps his gut I will not give him the medication any longer I really think you all for your advice about that medication I'm not even a firm believer in meds so I will probably Hop Off as for the carnivore care I will continue to mix that with a little bit of Blended veggies some calcium and some probiotics and feed him three to four times a day and just soak him two to three times a day and maybe I'll get him some of that baby food sounds like a good idea and I definitely will look into getting those lights does anybody know where I can get the fixture and the bulb for a package deal?

Ahechme

Original Poster
Little update on rex.. I came home after leaving him alone today for 6 hours. He looked really tired and weak. I bought him 5 crickets. And he wouldn't touch any. He actually would just close his eyes. He seems very week. And isn't standing Andy more. Unless he's climbing or walking. Other then that he just lays on his belly. He seems to be closing his eyes alot. Not eating or pooping. Is this a combo of brumation + the wrong UVB bulb.?? Here are photos of his eyes
95260-7935010744.jpg

95260-6005808292.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy is feeling really ill from all the meds. I believe. Just keep offering the feeding via syringe with extra water to flush out his system, cut the baths down to maybe every other day if he drinks in them but stay right with him while he's in the water in his condition.

Ahechme

Original Poster
Well I really want to mention that he has not had any meds today the only thing I gave him was the carnivore care mixed with a little bit of Blended veggies mixed with a little bit of powder from a Ultimate Flora gluten-free and dairy-free probiotic pill I thought it might make his stomach feel better but it looks like he's weaker today I just don't know anymore

Ahechme

Original Poster
I AM GOING TO PET CO IN THE MORNING TO GET THE NEW UVB BULB AND IF ANYONE HAS ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF WHAT I SHOULD EXACTLY BUY PLEASE LIST THEM FOR ME!!!! Reptisun 10.0 UVB Tube and fixture + 75 Watt UVA?? He looks so weak in trying everything I've wasted so much money trying to figure it out this is my last attempt with the light switching.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think I mentioned the better bulb can be ordered here :
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-d3-t-5-22-inch-24-watt-12-desert-uvb-the-original-reptile-ho-t5-in-north-america/

It's the best one on the market and will produce uvb for 2-3 years. If you bought the one in your picture, be sure to remove the plastic shield that covers the bulb in the fixture, it will block ALL the uvb. Better yet, take it back and order the good one that I mentioned. If you DO keep the Zilla, mount it inside the tank, under the screen. Here's how I do it using wires :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

How is he doing today ? There is something going on but it's not tail rot. Hopefully he's feeling better and did not get sicker from too much medication or even wrong doses.

Ahechme

Original Poster
So he does look alot better. The only reason I bought the zilla brand was because they didn't have reptisun at all except for 5.0 and I figured I needed it asap. He actually looks alot better he has a golden beard right now. Although I have no touched him yet or taken him out or tried to fiddle with him. Maybe he just wants to be left alone for a while? I'm not sure. He does look healthier. But still. Not eating and still closing eyes. I'm afraid it might be an eye problem? Are those common at all.? Anyways. He is just hanging on the corner of his hammock. And he isn't even sitting under ANY lighting what so ever it's like it bothers him or something which is hard to believe the light will bother a lizard since they need it to survive. He seems to be aware of his surroundings but NOT super alert.. And if I put my hand near him. He will close his eyes. Pet stores really suck for light bulbs.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
THAT ZILLA FIXTURE HAS A CLEAR PLASTIC COVER ON IT THAT COVERS THE UVB TUBE AND BLOCKS 100% OF THE UVB LIGHT FROM GOING THROUGH IT!!! YOU MUST REMOVE THST HARD, PLASTIC COVER FROM THE FIXTURE IMMEDIATELY!!!

UVB light cannot penetrate glass or clear plastic at all, so please remove the cover immediately. Also, that Zilla Desert 50 UVB tube is fine BUT ONLY IF IT IS MOUNTED UNDER THE MESH LID, AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETWEEN THE COMPLETELY EXPOSED UVB TUBE AND YOUR BEARDIE WHILE HE IS BASKING!!!! You'll have to poke holes in the mesh lid and then use either large zip ties, wire, twine, etc. to strap the entire fixture to the underside of the mesh lid. ALSO, YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT HIS MAIN BASKING SPOT/PLATFORM IS WITHIN AT LEAST 6" OF THAT EXPOSED, UNOBSTRUCTED UVB TUBE!

So first remove the hard, plastic cover from the fixture and then figure out where his Main Basking Spot is and then attach the entire fixture to the underside of the mesh lid so that it is directly over that Main Basking Spot. Then ensure that his Main Basking Spot is high enough that it puts him within at least 6" of the UVB tube, really 4-5" is better for that light, this is the only way that he will get adequate UVB light from the Zilla Desert 50 T8 UVB tube...PLEASE BE SURE THAT HE GETS AT LEAST BETWEEN 13-14 HOURS UNDER BOTH THE UVB TUBE AND THE BRIGHT WHITE BASKING BULB!!!...ALSO, YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST REPLACE THAT TUBE ONCE EVERY 6 MONTHS LIKE CLOCKWORK BECAUSE IT STOPS EMITTING ANY UVB LIGHT AT 6 MONTHS OF USE DAILY USE, EVEN THOUGH THE TUBE WILL NOT BE BURNT OUT AT THAT POINT AND WILL STILL TURN ON AND EMIT REGULAR LIGHT, IT WILL NOT EMIT ANY UVB LIGHT AT ALL!

Make sure you put his bright white basking bulb right alongside the UVB tube, so that he will get both lights while he's basking, this is how you replicate natural sunlight for him while he basks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I already mentioned the plastic shield Ellen as well as how to mount it under the screen, it's O.K. ! :)

It's great to hear that he's doing better ! Probably sick + stressed from expecting that when he gets picked up he's getting some nasty tasting meds. again. He probably does want to be left alone a bit but hopefully he'll start eating soon.

Ahechme

Original Poster
YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE THIS. HE JUST ATE A CRICKET ON HIS OWN MY LITTLE BOYS GETTING BETTER I THINK!!!!!!

THANK YOU for all your advice! Here are some images of how I have it set up right now tell me what to change please

95260-2260386450.jpg

95260-451596552.jpg

95260-8040814693.jpg

I would like to mention that he is not to far away from the lights. At the end

Ahechme

Original Poster
He hasn't been on meds for 3 days now. Just carnivore care feeding by mouth with syringe and he hates that

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great ! Yes, he is definitely getting better since he's off the meds. ! Have you offered him any more crickets ? You can see why many of us here will offer corrections over some veterinary recommendations, many vets are only guessing what to do and many so called exotics vets [ and even reptile vets ] don't always have a lot of knowledge on treating reptiles.

So I alreay included a pic of how you can hang the uvb bulb underneath the scree. Just get some thin wire you may have around the house or get it at Lowe's or Home depot and thread it through the screen so it can hold the fixture under the screen like this .
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom