Please help I'm very worried!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeps

My beardie is a year and a half old and I'm taking her to the vet Friday but I wanted to see if I could find some answers here. She hasn't been eating for a while now somtimes i'll slide stuff into her mouth just to get something in her. However despite thag she wont eat she is drinking a lot of water. She was well hydrated before this all started everything was normal. Now she sees the faucet running and she dips her head down and is very eager to drink as if she hasnt for a long time. She does this everyday at anytime like she is always thirsty. Her poo isn't formed actually since she isn't eating there isn't any at all it's just this brown mucus liquid mixed with some liquid white. I know this isn't right which is why I'm bringing her. She lives in a 40 gal by herself is fed collards, mustards, bananas. Strawberries and blueberries. I'd give her more options but she wont eat so theres no point. She seems to stay in her cave a lot lately sleeping. She will bask and run around a bit sometimes but I do think she is losing weight. So I know this isn't burmation. I do not see anything weird in her poo like eggs or parasites so I don't beleive it to be that. I will bring in a fecal for the vet for them to check. I would really like some advice or what could be the problem I'm nervous I lost my other beardie and he stopped eating too. Any feedback would be great thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Peeps, I'm sorry that your beardie is not well. :( Sometimes excessive thirst is linked to kidney or liver trouble. What was she eating and what supplements did you use before this started ? Can you post pics of her + her set up and list the exact type + brand of lights you use and what the temps. are ?

Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

When she's seen by the vet, mention everything you wrote here , esp. the excessive thirst. A blood panel should be done to check kidney , liver + other functions. Hopefully your girl will be O.K.

Peeps

Original Poster
87949-2021499728.jpg
this is her, she has some calcium dust that I used to put on superworms, she ate collards mustards bananas blueberries and strawberries carrots and celery mostly just collard and mustards though as her staple. I'm using a new zoo med uvb tank fixture 15 watts that stretches a third of her tank. Then I have 2 100 watt basking bulbs because where I live it's cold the temp for her basking is around 100 on the cool side its 75. Her tank setup is just a plastic tree to bask and a rock hut to sleep in there is no substrate just carpet liner for easy cleaning. What causes liver and kidney troubles in beardies? I'm very attached to mine and I'm willing to spend all my money for her. I'm only 18 and I plan to use all the money I've saved up for this expensive vet visit.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's very pretty. :) She's chunky, too so no worries about dropping a few grams but of course there is an issue of why she's so thirsty. Has she done any digging around the tank ?

And how are you taking her temps, what kind of thermometer ? I'm thinking that 200 watts is a lot of heat in a 40 gal tank.

Peeps

Original Poster
Thank you :) she hasn't been digging at all. I use a zoo med digital thermometer. I do check her temps it's winter right now so on the cool side its 75 and her basking is around 100 I know it might seem excessive but when there was only one it just wasn't warm enough she would try to climb as high as she could to get close to the light so I added another and she seems to be liking that when she lays on her tree. During the warmer season i just have one since it gets pretty hot already. With my other beardie who passed, he stopped eating he drank a lot but his beard was black, hers is always white and she isn't puffed so hopefully she isn't in pain with whatever is going on. However when I put her in water she acts kind of weird I'm not sure how to describe it she used to hate the water would always try ti get out but now she seeks out water and puts her head under and kind of squirms. I'm not sure what that is about but when shes in the water she wont stop drinking until I pull her out. I'm very anxious to see the vet I just want to know what's wrong and help her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long do you leave the probe on the basking area ? I've read that some people get different readings throughout the day so they may not be giving a true reading. I'm just throwing that out there in case she's overheating and getting thirsty, but it may be something else.

At any rate, it'll be good to see what the vet says....is this vet experienced with beardies ?

Peeps

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your input and care honestly it means a lot. She actually doesn't bask much she's been laying down for the most part. She does occasionally climb up and I will put her up there for a bit. She doesn't open her mouth which makes me believe she isn't too hot. I'll move the probe and look throughout the day to see what it says just in case. This vet is the only one thats not an hour away. I know the one I had before was a male and he was just not my favorite I guess you could say haha but this one is a female, maybe she'll be more helpful. They do exotics and they're the only ones that do it around here so I don't really have a choice. I'm not sure how they are with them I've only gone once. I'll make sure I ask to have all the tests I can done and make sure they knkw everything.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) Hopefully it's nothing serious, but that's why you want to be 100 % sure about things you can rule out [ like being too hot ] so be sure to take the temp. and leave the probe on the different areas for 30-45 minutes at a time. Do it in the middle or late part of the day to get a true reading.

And I hope your new vet is a good one too. !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom