PLEASE HELP... Another rescued beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshisMom1031

Hatchling Member
20130526_173433_zpsf0a52418.jpg

This is Thor... my fiance and I rescued him while at a reptile show Sunday. The ppl sold snakes but had this poor guy in a box with no lights or heat, under their table! We told them we had bearded dragons and immediately they showed him to us and said they wanted to get rid of him. I picked him up and he was so skinny and cold, he immediately snuggled upto me... they even gave us 100 dubias for taking him!
Poor Thor is missing over half of his tail, and he can't walk- just pulls himself along, plus he acts tired all the time. When he pooped this morning all it was was an undigested super abd two whole crickets! I bathed him 3 times now in water and pedialyte, and tried to feed him greenbean baby food with a syringe mixed with calcium powder and multivitamins- but he won't eat. Tonight I dropped two crickets into his 55 gallon tank, and he thrashed his way over to themand finally was able to catch one. But he acted like his tongue wwouldn't work right and on the third cricket he seemed exhausted and gave up. Of courseI tried to handfeed him but he just seemed to stare off.
I don't know if he has mbd or not- someone suggested parasites (at the reptile show), but we don't even know of a beardie vet we could take him to. He loves to snuggle but I know he needs his uvb light, so I took him outside today and he fell asleep. Hes so skinny he weighs almost nothing... I've prayed over him and need to know if anyone kniws what might be wrong.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
I'm so glad you guys took him poor lil fella. I hate to say that because you don't know how long he hasn't had lights for he might have started developing organ failure. I really hope he pulls through though I pray for you guys and this cute lil fella

YoshisMom1031

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We didn't have the heart to turn away from him... Thor makes us our fifth dragon now- our family and friends are calling ours the House of Dragons :) Thank you for your prayers- he has to pull through

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
I know what you mean if I saw cute Thor I couldn't turn away either. Anyway I was just saying that he does look skinny and I was reading a post a while back about one lady who found a beardie who had no lights forever and was super skinny the pet store had told her they were waiting for him to die. Long story and sad he was neglected for so long with no heat light he developed organ failure and by the time she found him it was to late the vet said that its up to his body to decide when it was time for him to pass over and he did in about a month and a half's time. I really hope Thor doesn't go through the same thing I hope he makes it through please continue to update us on his condition I would really love to see him pull through

YoshisMom1031

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will definitely keep you updated... I have faith that he will get better, but if for some reason he doesn't then he wont be in anymore pain. I know it sounds silly but as I walked around the yard with him yesterday I was telling him all of this- then I started to cry. From the beginning he had our hearts... less than two days ago.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little Thor....good for you for trying to help. The problem with his mobility is from lack of calcium absorption,[ it's like MBD without actual visual deformities] so in his case he can't move his limbs properly. It could have been caused by a combo of things....no calcium supplementation, no UVB or proper heat, etc. He most likely passed undigested food in his feces because of lack of heat. So getting him in the sun, and getting a proper bulb will halt it + he may gain some strength. It may be best not to treat for parasites until he's stronger + has become more settled in his new home. Also, handle him as little as possible, what we may think of as snuggling + comforting is actually stressful to an animal who is weak, tired + unacccustomed to being handled. He's really not as thin as some that I've seen here on this forum + at reptile shows in the past, so you can feed him the medium dubia if you offer 5-6 at a time , even crippling them a little so he doesn't have to chase them. Coat them with calcium + get a good multivitamin. There may be other problems going on , but he needs some good heat + UVB and nutrition and hydration. Any type of slurry with greens + other food items + powder can be dripped on his nose to see if he'll lick it off. He might enjoy a fat juicy hornworm which will give him food + a good bit of moisture as well. Right now it's impossible to know what all may be wrong with him, but hopefully he'll regain a measure of health.

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
You may also try getting some Oxbow Carnivore Care which is a powdered insectivore supplement. I've had good luck getting some emaciated dragons to take a mix of Carnivore Care, Critical Care (for herbivores), and Zilla Jump Start, blended with enough water to make what I affectionately call "goo". He might also like some baby food (chicken, veggies, fruits).

Thank you for taking this little guy in. Prayers headed your way.

Loiosh's Mom

YoshisMom1031

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Earlier today I again bathed him in water and pedialyte, then afterwards he poo'ed and it was normal!! No whole insects!! :) Then my fiance got him to eat two supers and a cricket... I was so thrilled! Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas-Iif anyone else has advice to give I'd love to hear it still. He's definitely moving around more and I hope he'll start gaining weight and grow stronger each day.
This is why I love this forum and the people. Everyone is so supportive and willing to help- you all are amazing. I'll keep posting updated and pictures as his health increases

Vianeth

Crickets have no real nutrition to them, no real meat on their bones. I would suggest sticking to dubia's.
Who knows what else might be wrong with that neglected beardie. I would seek out a qualified reptile vet and get a fecal test done along with complete bloodwork. Could have organ damage, bone disease, viral disease, parasites, who knows. Feed it dubia's, curly endive and escarole powdered with calcium powder, provide adequate heat, regular baths, etc. Hopefully your new guy will improve :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom