Planning the cage build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
I am planning a simple cage. Like many I am basing the design on the crossfire plan. I have a couple changes I know I want to make. Right now I am using a glass terrarium with too much ventilation. It is hard to keep the temps stable and high enough. Anyways here are some changes I want to make:
1) I want to use plywood and stain and seal it with polycrylic.
2) I want to make the top face plate to extend down a little more to hide the lights and wires a bit.
3) I want to grout in tiles permanently. Right now I am using loose dark tiles and I think I am going to a lighter tile in the new one. Easier cleanup when there are grouted in.

I do need a little advise on a couple things.
1) I am finding it hard to find a 36" t8 fluorescent fixture (will the t12 be ok with t8 reptisun?)
2) Is 2' high really too high. My adult really doesn't seem to want to climb too much and I am concerned he won't get close enough to the reptisun. I know the lights will hang down about 4"-6" so that will give me 16.5"-18.5" of space between the lights and the ground. I will need an 8"-10" basking log or branch. My beardie doesn't seem to that active in his current cage which has too much ventilation. He may be more active in this new cage so I don't know if the height is really going to be a problem. Maybe just lowering the height of the cage a few inches will help. Any thoughts are appreciated.
3) As for the heat fixture...is a ceramic fixture just as good as porcelain? Or can I use any outdoor fixtures?

Thanks for any thoughts or advise. Anything that has worked really well for you please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom