Planning on building new viv, plans inside comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i am going to start building it withing the next couple weeks, and i did up all the plans so im prepaired, so lemme know what you think and if you know of any better ways i could do things.

plans are so far that it will be 4'x2'x2', the front will be two plexi-glass doors with wood trim to hold them in place, i decided to have them open out vs any other way because it looks and functions a little better as far as cleaning and things like that, then and all the vents are 2" and io plan on using computer fans on a thermostat to push fresh air in from one of the vents on the cool side.

heres some pics of what i've come up with so far,

Image2-6.jpg

dasdh3.jpg

Image3-3.jpg

vivsjjk.jpg

(Two other tanks are a 75 gallon and a 20 long for size comparison)
I also went and priced out the type of materials, and amounts just to get an idea of how much it's gonna cost me to build just the viv itself.

And heres a nice rendering of it with some light...btw i do all the CAD work myself :mrgreen:

vivs.jpg

Thoughts, comments, concerns, advice anyone?

***********************************************UPDATE 12-28-09**************************************************
Alright, well i went to homedepo to look at prices for supplies and all that good stuff, and finished up the plans and measurements making sure everything was on key to get the whole things exterior dimensions to be exactly 4'x2' this way it would be easily fit into my room. and heres where i stand right now, I plan to start building sometime either this upcoming weekend or next week.

Heres the final plans with dimensions and layout to make it easier to read and draw out on the wood

vivplans.jpg

And heres my supply list as of right now....I need some advice on types of sealants to use...im also still up trying to figure out the best way to circulate the air within the viv, but that's something that can be fiddled with after the viv is up and running so im really not too too worried about it.

3 - 3/4”x 48”x8’ practical board - $52.26 ($16.75ea)
4 - 2”x4”x8’ DF stud - $10.14 ($2.39ea)
2 – 4”x4”x8’ DF - $20 ($10ea)
16 – 6”x6” tile - $16 ($1ea)
1 – 18”x24”x.093” Crystalite Acrylic Plexiglass - $10
1 – 36”x48”x.093” GE Lexan XL10 Plexiglass - $65 (Crystalite Acrylic $20)
12 – 2” vents – $20 ($10 per 6 pack)

StlGreaser

Hatchling Member
Very nice work with the cad renderings, that is some excellent work. I wish I had the money to buy a program like that! With cad skill like that I assume you know that computer fans usually run on DC current, so you will need to run a power supply for them. I just finished the design for the all the lighting for all of the lighting for the zoo of reptiles my girl and I own. It will be run with a spare plc that is no longer need at work. Got the program all ready to go into it as soon as the machine is decommissioned two weeks form now! There will be plenty of extra inputs and outputs for future expansion for more lighting, misters, heaters, exhaust fans, pretty much anything I can imagine!

Brian.

edevildude

Original Poster
Yea, i've though about that, im still not sure how i really wana go about moving fresh air in, but its not really "Necessary" since im still going to have 12 vents in the viv anyway, i think im going to wait until i build the viv and spend a little time and energy planning it all out, maybe i'll even make the lighting more integrated rather then just putting fixtures on top like, i said im not gonna worry bout it for now...building this things gonna be enough to keep me occupied for a good couple of weeks :mrgreen:

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
StlGreaser":7e884 said:
Very nice work with the cad renderings, that is some excellent work. I wish I had the money to buy a program like that! With cad skill like that I assume you know that computer fans usually run on DC current, so you will need to run a power supply for them. I just finished the design for the all the lighting for all of the lighting for the zoo of reptiles my girl and I own. It will be run with a spare plc that is no longer need at work. Got the program all ready to go into it as soon as the machine is decommissioned two weeks form now! There will be plenty of extra inputs and outputs for future expansion for more lighting, misters, heaters, exhaust fans, pretty much anything I can imagine!

Brian.

You should check out Google Sketchup. There is a free version, which I have found to be very helpful with the design change. Having the ability to move around the entire enclosure in 3D helped me catch a few things before I started making any cuts. As far controls, I'm planning on using an Arduino (maybe a Sanguino) for reading and maintaining the temps. It may also be used for timing the lights on and off, but timers are so cheap these days it may not be cost effective. This project is already running over budget as it is. :D I'm hoping to avoid any visible vents, so I'll also be using muffins to move air in/out. Once I get my glass ordered, I will hopefully be able to have a better idea of how many fans will be needed.

edevildude

Original Poster
Where do you go to order glass? because it would be really nice to use glass instead of plexi-glass...and how much does it usually run?

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
edevildude":30882 said:
Where do you go to order glass? because it would be really nice to use glass instead of plexi-glass...and how much does it usually run?

There are companies online that you can google, but IMO you'll pay a lot in shipping. I would check locally for glass stores, that might sell glass windows / doors. When I called a few weeks ago, i think they said it would be around 39$ for a piece like 40"x15" of .25" tempered glass. Call around though because another place locally quoted me $55 for the same thing. :?

edevildude

Original Poster
Well i found a website that makes and ships custom pieces of tempered glass, and for the 2 22"x22" peices i would need it's $55 for the glass and like $50 for shipping...ima call some places today and see what kinda prices they can offer me...

Hey All, Here's some pics of Norberts new Viv. It's 4' x 2' x 2' with sliding glass doors, 3 Light system on timers, and my second rock sculpture "Dragon Mountain" I can't take a lot of credit for the inclosure because it was an old entertainment center I revamped but the rock sculpture and feed tray was all my doing. You can check out the video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjTchJHFhbU
I've made a total of 3 rock sculptures. they take a while to do but i've really enjoyed making them.
6601623_orig.jpg

Notice the seams at the bottom? The entire "dragon head" is removable for safety and for easy cleaning.
9516594_orig.jpg

2949261_orig.jpg

9624067_orig.jpg

Here's the one I made for a co-worker.
628018_orig.jpg

1624865_orig.jpg

The Feed Tray is removable for easy cleaning
4077457_orig.jpg

340300_orig.jpg

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Don't take this the wrong way Norbert, but do you have to post pictures of your fake rocks in every thread? Its playing killer with load times.

Sorry...didn'y know there was a limit...maybe I need to read the Terms again....I will remove them if its a problem. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom