Placement of Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

MODragons

I guess this brings me to my first question....should I call my new Beardies home a tank, a terrarium, a cage, their house.....I guess I'll go with tank since its easy to spell.

I am aquiring an Oceanic 80 gallon "Lizard Lounge" which has been the home of my two newtome Dragons for the last 3-4 years. I'm putting it into my finished basement and I'm concerned about humidity and cold. My experience with saltwater aquariums shown me that there was a big difference in water temp/conditions based upon where I put the tank....near the window caused algae blooms, near a corner caused poor air circulation, under an air duct vent was good in the summer when AC helped cool the water, was bad in the winter when heat blowing caused more water evap.....

Assuming you are familiar with what this tank looks like, if not here's a link....

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/data/classifieds/images/25577.jpg

How important and/or whats the benefits of air flow within the tank itself ???

I'm going to assume that a mid wall placement is better than a corner spot because of air flow, is putting it against a perimeter concrete wall better or worse than putting it against an interior wall under an air vent ???

I assume it would either be more humid against a perimeter wall because its closer to a window, or any humidity in the room would condensate more along a perimeter wall and could cause mold and/or some not so good respiratory issues for the kids.

I'm concerned in the summer AC blowing from the air vent might not be a good idea - the only interior wall has half of it open and the other half has the vent above it. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you are able to keep constant temperatures where you need it, and the humidity isn't too high, you can pretty much place your tank anywhere besides in direct sunlight.

-Brandon

MODragons

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Brandon, so you don't think putting it under a duct vent where the AC would blow in the summer would be a problem ? I guess I can always close the vent huh....

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as the air vent isn't bring the temps out of the range you need them to be its fine. But it most likely would so unless you want to close it, might to be the best idea to keep it directly under a vent :mrgreen:

-Brandon

MODragons

Original Poster
I'm gonna go with putting it against the outer wall, I think your earlier comment about "constant temps" is the way to go. Again, I appreciate your time. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom