Pinworms/Protazoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Em just had his/her 1 month fecal check-up. Turns out Em has pin worms and 2 unidentified protozoa!!! Oh boy. The vet is confident meds will work to eradicate the protozoa, and is not overtly concerned with the pin worms. However, he is not really wanting to treat Em at this time as he/she is so little. Em is only 7 inches and 15 grams. The med the vet was going to use is Metronidazole (is an antibiotic which is commonly used to treat protozoan infections and anaerobic bacterial infections) has to be given in the smallest dose ever, something like .0001ml, and overdoses can cause seizures!!! At this point, Em is eating well and so far has been gaining weight. So there are no adverse symptoms of a parasite take over. The vet suggest waiting to see if the infection progresses, and ultimately hoping Em gets a little bigger to treat. Are there any suggestions or perhaps home remedies to treat unknown protozoa? What about Reptaid, is this product safe, and effective to use on a young dragon?

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know the answer about the Reptaid...but I am with you about not treating with antibiotics and antiparasite meds.

Glad Em is doing well! Diablo is wrapped in a piece of fleece sleeping on my shoulder and he is about to shed, but he ate like a pig today! Mustard greens and red bell pepper and a bunch of crickets. He wasn't eating the last few days and after feeding him chicken and squash baby food...he is eating great.

The baby food got him over the stress and now he trusts me enough to eat out of my hand....they are really smarter than I thought!

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
keschete":2cc8c said:
The baby food got him over the stress and now he trusts me enough to eat out of my hand....they are really smarter than I thought!

Off topic, but had to comment. Em will not eat anything if it does not move. Em will not eat a thing from my hand since the first few days I got him/her. In fact, if the food does not move around enough, such as slow Phoenix worms; I have to manually push them along to get eaten. Geez!!!

Still hoping someone can shed some light on this topic though.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
You can try the reptaid. It seems to have helped Zoom's appetite, it just took a couple of months as she seemed to have wanted to sleep. I would go to the 'for sale' forum and check it out. It comes with a syringe to feed it to them but I would use a couple of drops from the dropper. The man who sells it is on that thread regarding it and you can email him with any questions you may have. It is several pages long. I haven't heard of any negative results from the use of it, mostly good results. There has been some people that said it didn't do much, but I only read about 2 or 3 of them.

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom