Pin worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigg

Juvie Member
Just got the results back from the Fecal float I had my wife do on Iggy from the Veterinary Information Networkand, as it turns out she has pin worms. Iggy is otherwise happy, healthy, and eating well so my wife does not want to treat for them due to the aditional health risks from harsh antibiotics and the stress it will put on the her, and since the do not pose a threat for Iggy or for humans...

Is there anything anyone would reccomend?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did the vet give you a "count" of the pinworms?
They do carry a small load of naturally occurring bacteria & parasites for normal flora in the GI tract to aid in digestion. It is only when they get in too large of loads in their system that they begin to take over & affect their health.
While Panacur is not harmful even in larger doses, if you do not feel it is warranted to medicate her & she is eating well & basking, then, it really is not necessary to medicate her unless you absolutely want her.
Now, if her appetite was not good or she was lethargic, then, I would recommend deworming her.

Tracie

Tigg

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The count was moderate. (3+ 11-50 eggs/parasites)

Since I am housing her in a enclosure with slate tiles that are not easy to remove and a fake rock background which again will not be easy to remove and disinfect. I will clean her enclosure daily with Peroxigard which is the Canadian version of the non-toxic disinfectant Novasan to try and help lower the count a bit...

Is there anything else you could reccomend to help her out without using panacur?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Honestly, the Panacur is not that bad. It's the Albon that really messes up the stomach from what I have been told. If u do decide to go ahead with treatment, all you would have to do is use a probiotic, such as Acidophiliz+ & give him/her a few drops a day, either by mouth or on her food/water. This will help introduce good bacteria back into your beardie's systom. The issue with possibly not treating, is that any type of stress can lead to those pinworms developing in larger amounts. Just a thought. You can purchase this from Beautiful Dragons.com. I have also heard that u can go to health store & pick up some bee polin capsules to sprinkle on the food.

~Sandy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I sent you a PM also. :D
Yeah, just let me know her weight so I can double check the dosage you were given. Panacur is mild so it is not that big of a deal. If you want you can use the acidophiliz just to make sure it doesn't affect her appetite.
How is her appetite today?
At 3+ that is borderline as whether or not to treat her, but it is fine to go ahead to treat, just to get the levels down so they don't get too high.
That is fine to use the Peroxigard to disinfect her tank, no problem. Just keep everything clean & she should not have any reinfection problems.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom