Phoenix Worms. Anyone know...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hey all,

We just received our first batch of PWs. The bd appears to enjoy them very much. :mrgreen: At any rate, a perhaps silly, and not totally necessary question, but I'm really curious... why is it that the care of PWs is so EASY? For example, why do I NOT have to feed them, and how do they live so long without well, being fed? I'm not complaining mind you, but I'm amazed at how easy the care (or lack thereof) is, and I wonder if anyone here might know why.

TIA,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ah, unsatisfied curiosity drives me crazy! :wink: I'll contact Mulberry directly, see what they say. :mrgreen:

neecie

Juvie Member
I don't know either ---- but, butterworms are easy like that too. They go in lower drawer of frig and can last up to 5 weeks - they are great (but high in fat) not a staple just a few a day.

patrickb

Juvie Member
It's basically an evolved survival mechanism that helps to ensure the species proliferates. The worms build up fat stores that they will eventually use while pupating. Some species such as phoenix worms have the ability to virtually shut down their metabolism when a food source is not present. This allows them to lay in waiting until more food becomes available and conditions are favorable for them to continue on, pupate and turn into adult flies then reproduce. Without this ability, many of the worms would die off and never make it to adulthood, and the species itself would likely not even exist. It's not uncommon in insect species. It's the equivalent of hibernation in reptiles and mammals really.

Now, if you were to offer them a viable food source, they would come back to life and eat it up and end up pupating into flies. Their metabolism doesn't shut down completely so they still burn some energy in this state and eventually they will have none left if a food source doesn't become present and they just die at that point.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
patrickb":b0330 said:
It's basically an evolved survival mechanism that helps to ensure the species proliferates. The worms build up fat stores that they will eventually use while pupating. Some species such as phoenix worms have the ability to virtually shut down their metabolism when a food source is not present. This allows them to lay in waiting until more food becomes available and conditions are favorable for them to continue on, pupate and turn into adult flies then reproduce. Without this ability, many of the worms would die off and never make it to adulthood, and the species itself would likely not even exist. It's not uncommon in insect species. It's the equivalent of hibernation in reptiles and mammals really.

Now, if you were to offer them a viable food source, they would come back to life and eat it up and end up pupating into flies. Their metabolism doesn't shut down completely so they still burn some energy in this state and eventually they will have none left if a food source doesn't become present and they just die at that point.

Thank you for this. Makes perfect sense, actually. Appreciate very much your taking the time to respond. (haven't heard back from Mulberry) :D

neecie":b0330 said:
I don't know either ---- but, butterworms are easy like that too. They go in lower drawer of frig and can last up to 5 weeks - they are great (but high in fat) not a staple just a few a day.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I didn't realize that butterworms were a 'treat' so this is very good to know. Are super worms then, the one good staple worm do you know?

Thanks again!
Em

neecie

Juvie Member
I wish butters were a staple cuz they have so many good features. Supers are for over 16" long bd, cuz of the shell and digestion. Reminder that Beautiful Dragon site has details.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
neecie":6af08 said:
I wish butters were a staple cuz they have so many good features. Supers are for over 16" long bd, cuz of the shell and digestion. Reminder that Beautiful Dragon site has details.

Yes, too bad on the butters. I've heard that they have many of the qualities of the phoenix, alas, too much fat. Can't have that, I suppose. Well, the PWs are working really well for now, so I'll stick with those until it's time to step up, or switch to something new. Currently, it's clear that crickets are no longer as palatable. I put in crickets first this afternoon. He ate one, and then looked at me like, "where are those new yummy things?" I put in the worms, and he got VERY excited, and had himself a nice meal. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom