Phoenix worm questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinim

Hi all,

Just got my first batch of phoenix worms and she loves them!

I am sure these questions have been answered before, but was unable to find them.

What is the best way you have found to clean them off and get them to the bowl without losing too much of their substrate?

I have a feeding dish that they just climb out of easily, what type of dish do you put them in to prevent this.

Can I just leave them in the bowl all day, or until she eats them all, or is it still give her what she can eat in 10-15 min?

if I also feed her crickets the same day, do i need to dust them, or is the calcium in the worms enough for the day?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Preston

Dragon4Me

Hi,
I started my 6 1/2 month old on Phoenix worms little over a month ago. He had been on small small superworms and crickets until then. I've read and been told by the company that sells the Phoenix worms that the substrate is not harmful to the beardie. I take them out one by one and tap the tongs on the side of the container and put them in his small round ceramic dish ($2.99 at Petco, it's just a about 2 1/2-3 inches across and the worms can't crawl out) - it needs to have straight sides. Once I put as many as I want in the dish, I lift the dish and bang the bottom of the dish 3 or 4 times on the table and believe it or not, most of the material comes off, settles to the bottom in the dish and they can crawl around about 85% clean. The only other option is to put them into a small mesh strainer and rinse them with some water. I choose not to do that each day and haven't seen anything bad come of it.

My beardie is hungriest in the morning so he's ready to eat about 30-50 medium worms in one 5-10 min sitting so leaving them there is not much of a worry in the morning. Since young beardies should eat 2x a day, we give him a smaller serving late afternoon (he doesn't want nearly as many as he does in the morning). At that point, I do leave them there and go back and check in a while, if they are not gone, I put them back because it means he's just not interested. The rule of thumb on the discussion boards is give them as many as they can eat in 10-15 and that works well in the morning for me..but not so much with his smaller afternoon "snack".

As far as calcium, one of the selling points of the Phoenix Worms is the calcium in them so as soon as I started with those, I stopped dusting w/calcium (but you should continue to dust with a multivitamin 2x a week 1x a day). Now I'm still learning the ins and outs of my beardie, but I have to tell you that about a week and half ago I started seeing big pieces and sometimes whole undigested worms in his poo. Had never happened before...responses on this forum told me that is not uncommon for Phoenix worms because they don't always chew them well and not to worry. It bothered me, though, because why would it just have started one day out of the blue when he'd be on them for a couple weeks at that point? My temps and lighting were good so it wasn't that...I'm trying something...2 days ago I started dusting the morning worms with some calcium, not too heavy. It occurred to me that maybe for mine, the calcium in the worms wasn't enough for him and it was affecting his disgestion. I'm going to give it a week and see if his poos go back to the way they were - with no undigested worms! If it works, I'll let you know and you can decide for yourself if it happens to yours.

Hoped this helped a little
Jennifer

twinim

Original Poster
It does, thanks so much for the information! I might have to get a straight sided bowl to use.

twinim

Original Poster
I got mine at phoenixworms.com. They seem really healthy and the shipping was only $6, which is nice. I think there may be some cheaper alternatives from what I have read, but I don't think it is that much cheaper. I might check out some of the others on future orders, we will see.

Thank you both for the information. Another question: I have conflicting info on feeding kale. I thought kale would be good and not as tough as collard greens. What are your thoughts about feeding kale? With appreciation! :D

Dragon4Me

I trust beautifuldragons.org and it lists Kale as occasional... I have interpreted that as once or twice a week but not a daily staple. (Those foods are listed in color green). Kale is high in Vit A so as an every day item it might be too much.

Dragon4Me":2td04cwe said:
I trust beautifuldragons.org and it lists Kale as occasional... I have interpreted that as once or twice a week but not a daily staple. (Those foods are listed in color green). Kale is high in Vit A so as an every day item it might be too much.

Thank you! I'll check out this website.

twinim

Original Poster
From what I have read, kale is a calcium binder, which means it will effectively take away the calcium that you are giving your dragon. I would honestly stay away from it if you can, especially when your dragon is very young and needs the calcium more as it's bones are growing very rapidly.

Thanks for the information! I am happy to report I checked out both websites and ordered Phoenix worms and Hornworms for Sam! I think he has had too many Superworms from Petsmart! I'm limiting the Kale and switching to collard greens. He likes Sweet Potatoe and last night I made him some Butternut Squash. He had another nice bath and some cuddle time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom