Phoenix and the broken limb :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomOfDrgn

Hi everyone -
97919-5611488107.jpg

I made an introduction here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=241067

There's a bit of the back story there but here it is again. Kraken [the larger in the photo] attacked Phoenix. S/he had exposed tendons and a broken leg [just above the foot]. A vet visit [and a splint] later and we're on injection antibiotics. S/he will loose some toes but our major concern right now is healing the break.

Good vibes are appreciated!
97919-1191018285.jpg

So the bigger one attacked the smaller one pretty severally and you put them back together for a picture? I know you're right there watching but things can happen VERY quick as some posts on this forum prove. Don't mean that in a rude way just giving a warning. I really hope his leg heals good and he avoids any further issues! :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keys to good bone healing ( my BT George broke is left arm as a juvenile and these the guidance given by my reptile vet ) are :

>>>> extra protein
>>>> liquid calcium ( CalciVet is very good given orally by syringe each day )
>>>> very good levels of UVB (about 200 microW UVB / sq.cm and no less than 130 microW UVB / sq.cm elsewhere)
>>>> photoperiod set to 16 hours
>>>> keep the injured lizard warm 24/7 , no cooler than 28 degC overnight.

Please , keep the two separate , no play time (being out together) , the small dragon wont be "so lucky" next time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry to hear about this accident. :( Hope it all heals well. I do agree 100% with the other poster, you are flirting with disaster with that picture. The baby knows what happened too, so should never even see the other dragon let alone be next to it. Best wishes to the baby + hoping it doesn't become necrotic under the bandage.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope that Phoenix is going to make a fully recovery, as much as he can. Is he doing quite
a bit better now?
I am sorry this happened, he is a very lucky little boy!
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

MomOfDrgn

Original Poster
I didn't take the picture - another family member did while I was crouched and ready [if you notice my feet in lower left corner of the photo] .. I had my hand between them until the very last second and as soon as the camera sound went off I scooped him/her back up and left Kraken to be put away by the other family member. They have not seen each other since - their current enclosures aren't in sight of each other either.

The vet said the 'cast' can come off on Monday - hoping for minimal necrosis although I do suspect s/he will loose a couple toes.

Appetite is low... but was to be expected from the Baytril. S/he is getting an electrolyte water to hopefully combat the possible renal failure from that also and was 'force fed' some beef baby food tonight after the legless crickets/salad went untouched. Last BM was Tuesday :?

Pulled the UV light and heat source into the tank and rigged it to hang super low as all basking/climbing structures have been removed.

S/he does shimmy around the tank and perks up when we walk by - also moves the leg itself [at the hip] just fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, I hope there isn't too much damage when the cast comes off.
Definitely continue the oral fluids right now since she is on Baytril. When is her last dose
of that?
Are you giving probiotics too? That would help her out a lot & maybe adding some bee
pollen too for help with her immune system & appetite also.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MomOfDrgn":7ucv7y1c said:
I didn't take the picture - another family member did while I was crouched and ready [if you notice my feet in lower left corner of the photo] .. I had my hand between them until the very last second and as soon as the camera sound went off I scooped him/her back up and left Kraken to be put away by the other family member. They have not seen each other since - their current enclosures aren't in sight of each other either.

The vet said the 'cast' can come off on Monday - hoping for minimal necrosis although I do suspect s/he will loose a couple toes.

Appetite is low... but was to be expected from the Baytril. S/he is getting an electrolyte water to hopefully combat the possible renal failure from that also and was 'force fed' some beef baby food tonight after the legless crickets/salad went untouched. Last BM was Tuesday :?

Pulled the UV light and heat source into the tank and rigged it to hang super low as all basking/climbing structures have been removed.

S/he does shimmy around the tank and perks up when we walk by - also moves the leg itself [at the hip] just fine.

Did the vet prescribe pain relief injections ?

George (my male BTS as juvenile) was getting an injection by me every 2nd day and really perked up after he had his injection.

MomOfDrgn

Original Poster
So today - s/he "drank" the electrolyte water from the syringe; almost refused the syringe feeding of beef but took a little bit. I was getting a bit concerned as that would mean a bigger drop in appetite, so I randomly dropped a cricket in to see what would happen. CHOMP! S/he went right for it! So happy about that. I'm going to pick up some smaller pin-head crickets tomorrow at work.

As for pain meds; s/he wasn't prescribed any. Seems to be doing fine in that department though; tonight s/he was clawing at the glass and wanting to climb [even though there's nothing to climb on]. There is one toe peeking out from the cast that... will not be there in the long run :( all things considered a few missing toes aren't going to be missed.

S/he seems very eager to get that cast off and occasionally 'shakes' his/her leg to see if it'll come off. A little funny to witness. Another thing I noticed today was that one of her front legs looks a little swollen from the "elbow" down. I took a closer look while feeding and there was a small piece of skin sticking up ... almost seems like s/he was trying to start a shed and then stopped. S/he can't soak/bathe as we need to keep the bandage dry. This little one is definitely keeping me on my toes!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing tonight?
That's great he had some fluids from the syringe today. Wow, that is terrific he did eat
some crickets though, he must be feeling better then, at least a little bit.
Well, if it doesn't seem that he needs any pain meds then maybe he doesn't need any right
now which is fine also.
He will be ok missing some toes, a lot of dragons have issues like that. So his front leg is
starting to shed but is stuck? You can use a little bit of coconut oil or aloe vera gel on it
to try & help out the shed.
Let us know how he is progressing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom