Pheonix worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxmommy1

Question
So I just did by first food change for my worms
86423-6376611371.jpg
I have a question. For more worms should I add layers of bread or another container.
Also I read the article of their care and it said place 100 worms on small kritter keeper is that the max number allowed

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What do you have in there for food? I just leave mine in the container along with the mulch/oak they came with.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
I would stick with just one layer, as the food really needs to be changed daily. When it comes to quantity, I use little plastic tubs a little bigger then you average kritter keeper, and I split up a 600 worm cup into two containers.

BTW, glad to see someone feeding their BSFL. Too many people stop feeding BSFL to their adult lizards, due to their small size, but BSFL typically have completely empty guts when they are sent to you,as they have nothing to eat in their little containers. A little feeding goes a long way, not only do they get long, they plump up too!

Jaxmommy1

Original Poster
Thank you for advice. Yes anything to make baby happy. I am trying to talk my husband into raising them and silkworms. So expensive!
Then when we have so many worms should be time to move my baby into big girl tank and I can get another. Already have dubias started.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
LOL raising your own feeders def helps offset the cost of a young dragon. I wish I had the time and/or patience to raise silks or BSFL. I do have probably somewhere around twenty thousand dubia tho, so I DO have that going for me :)

Jaxmommy1

Original Poster
I love dubias! Haha I still laugh when I say that. I hated the crickets. I only got them twice. Had nightmares of there stinky, loud, creepy jumpers
Maggots and roaches are much better lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's been quite a while since I read that article. I'd forgotten about it! :oops: I agree that you'll want to just add a small layer because you need to refresh the food every day or two. My guys will blow through 50-100 in a day so I haven't really needed to keep them for more than a few days per order but this may be a good way to care for them in bulk. Using a larger rubbermaid container with holes cut in the top may be a good way to house more of them at once if you want to get a larger colony going. Maybe get several containers so you can house several hundred at a time.

Adriana

Hi Jaxmommy,
It's Adriana, the author of the Phoenix worm article! I noticed in your photo, you have the baby food sitting on top of the bread. It's better to saturate the bread with the baby food, kind of like a sponge, or like making French toast. That gives the worms a better environment to crawl around in. Otherwise they'll just kind of be swimming on top of the baby food... It's too wet for them. Hope that helps!
Adriana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom