Petco vs Me - Could go Legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
tgolden":15wzcs3w said:
You can't expect much out of a minimum wage employee or a high school kid working the weekend.
~ Tommie

i DO expect it from the higher ups. I was a manager in a cafe, if i didn't know the products i sold i would have never been in charge of the place.
if someone asks you a question you don't know the answer to don't lie and act like you do. the proper responses are: let me get someone who knows about that -or- i do not know, let me find out about that and get back to you.

in EVERY job i've had people appreciated my honesty. sure there is the snide remark of 'you work here and don't know?', but i simply reply with 'no, i can't possibly know everything, but i appreciate the opportunity to learn more so i can better help you'
we always enjoy the huffy reaction of people when you smile in their face instead of getting flustered.

and if you guys talk about boycotting these companies, you have to boycott EVERY part of them. large chains often have subsidiaries, you need to boycott those too to make the impact felt.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
bunnyrut":20u1790t said:
i DO expect it from the higher ups...

I hate to break it to you, but in big retail places like that the 'higher ups' are usually only getting paid a few cents over minimum wage - I used to be a front end manager at A&P and made $7.45/hr. Nobody gets paid well in stores like that. Like Tommie said:

tgolden":20u1790t said:
You can't expect much out of a minimum wage employee or a high school kid working the weekend.
~ Tommie

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Myself I will use Petco pet smart type places because they have supplies I need for my dragon. these employees are doing what they are told. They're not gonna risk they're jobs because someone tells them the temps and humility level and not right. When I have the chance to bring it up I do but it stays the same. Myself when i'm there and see someone buying a dragon I give them my number tell them I have one and if they have question to give me a call.
~ Tommie

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Original Poster
tgolden, that isn't always true.

A few employees were fired from my local petco over some lawsuit involving salt water fish. apparently they were petco's scapegoats in the situation to keep from getting financially ripped.

I will not support a company that flat out is only there to lie and cheat its customers out of money in their wallets.

I don't care if there are $1/gallon tank sales. You can find a tank for cheaper on Craigslist that is still in great condition, or you can be a handy person and make your own vivarium.

When I walk into a store and i get told that I am not allowed to purchase something because I feed my animals my own way, that is flat out discrimination and they will be held accountable period. You guys will be hearing more of this very soon, trust me.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
saleen89559":9m4nxb1u said:
I don't care if there are $1/gallon tank sales. You can find a tank for cheaper on Craigslist that is still in great condition, or you can be a handy person and make your own vivarium.

I'm sorry, but no chance I am putting my beardies into a used tank. I just don't think there is enough information about adenovirus, and there are people who strongly feel it is extremely difficult to kill and I don't want to take that chance. Considering I can get a $40 breeder for $40, when they run $129 new here, I just have to make that purchase. I sure won't go there for anything else, though. Last time I was in PetCo they had 3 dead reptiles on display. :|

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
ShannyBeard":bfph1xso said:
saleen89559":bfph1xso said:

I'm sorry, but no chance I am putting my beardies into a used tank. I just don't think there is enough information about adenovirus, and there are people who strongly feel it is extremely difficult to kill and
I don't want to take that chance. Considering I can get a $40 breeder for $40, when they run $129 new here, I just have to make that purchase. I sure won't go there for anything else, though. Last time I was in PetCo they had 3 dead reptiles on display. :|
That's sad about having dead reptiles on display. Man I guess i'm really lucky. I have had no problems our seen anything like that at the one I go to. Its always clean and neat in the reptile section. Over crowed and low temps but clean
~ Tommie

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Back in the day when I saw a therapist, he taught me one thing that changed my life more than anything else... I can't fix every problem for everyone. I need to solve my own problems and let other people solve their own problems. He said I would be amazed at how often the one turned out to impact the other. And he was right.

I buy my animals from reputable breeders and from my local mom & pop exotic shop. I buy my online insects from people I have learned about on this site. And when I am shopping for the basic necessities I try to give my money to that same mom & pop shop whenever I can. But there are days when I have to go to Petco or PetSmart for something. And, yes, I have bought two of those dollar a gallon tanks from Petco. The bottom line is that no actions I take will change the nationwide policies of these chain stores. However, my personal actions can have an impact on the small businesses I support. So I support them. And I will always be here for them.

Thank you Amazing Pets (Naples, FL), Linda's Gone Buggie, Great Lakes Hornworms, Drag-A-Longs, Lizard Luxuries, and Fairytail Dragons. You might not be able to shut down the local Petco, but I'm sure just one order to one of these companies will make a difference to them, especially if you tell your friends, too.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
NeosMom":1hxk1pyn said:
I buy my animals from reputable breeders and from my local mom & pop exotic shop. I buy my online insects from people I have learned about on this site. And when I am shopping for the basic necessities I try to give my money to that same mom & pop shop whenever I can. But there are days when I have to go to Petco or PetSmart for something. And, yes, I have bought two of those dollar a gallon tanks from Petco. The bottom line is that no actions I take will change the nationwide policies of these chain stores. However, my personal actions can have an impact on the small businesses I support. So I support them. And I will always be here for them.

Thank you Amazing Pets (Naples, FL), Linda's Gone Buggie, Great Lakes Hornworms, Drag-A-Longs, Lizard Luxuries, and Fairytail Dragons. You might not be able to shut down the local Petco, but I'm sure just one order to one of these companies will make a difference to them, especially if you tell your friends, too.

QFT - Quoted for Truth.

WOW - great insight to wake up to this morning. Thank you, Neos Mom. Great positive spin on some negative conversations.

You are so right. And I do what you do, too. I buy all of my supplies, including ReptiSUNs, from Cheryl at Rio Reptiles - beardeddragon.co. She is right here in Florida and her prices are unbelievable. I've bought everything from incubators to liquid calcuim from her. She's a gem.

I just got my new baby dragon from Fairytail Dragons, and my husband has a new baby coming from Brenda Gore. They are both small breeders who give their babies daily one-on-one attention. It's clear they do it for the love of the dragons.

And I get my local supplies from Pangaea Pets, which is a small reptile shop. Whether I go in there to just say Hi, or I'm in there for feeders or a new critter, we always get a warm welcome and they take great care of their animals.

My husband and I have a little silkworm business and we basically sell just enough to be able to pay for feeding our animals. I am sure that is what most of the Mom-and-Pops do - they start out producing for themselves, then they branch out to help support their habits.

Thanks for the reminder, Neos Mom. :D

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
NeosMom":2ymzp64y said:
Back in the day when I saw a therapist, he taught me one thing that changed my life more than anything else... I can't fix every problem for everyone. I need to solve my own problems and let other people solve their own problems. He said I would be amazed at how often the one turned out to impact the other. And he was right.

Well said! Unfortunately I don't have any mom and pa stores that sell acceptable reptile goods. Sounds like you are hooked up with some good folks.
~ Tommie

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
tgolden":3measuda said:
Well said! Unfortunately I don't have any mom and pa stores that sell acceptable reptile goods. Sounds like you are hooked up with some good folks.
~ Tommie

You can order from many of these places online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom