Pet Tortoises for a Complete Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I think tortoises are adoreable, but I have no idea how to care for them. And where to go when I am unsure of care? Google! Then I realized that I have no idea what kind of tortoises to research.

I'm not sure if I will be able to build a secure outdoor enclosure... we've got cats, raccoons, skunks, coyotes, and everything else around here, and limited yard space.

Please, give me a list of tortoises good for beginners and I will read everything there is to read about them! (Please, give me something else to read! I'm going over snake anatomy right now, which isn't exactly interesting once you know the basics. I mean, I don't exactly care a whole lot about what each individual scale is called.)

Also, what are some small kinds of tortoises? Dwarfs, maybe? I'd like to know my options in case it turns out I can't make an outdoor enclosure. And I don't have space in the house for any large enclosures.

apbgv

Hatchling Member
I would recommend either Russian Tortoises or cherry headed red foots or if you want a little large a red foot. There are several e mail lists on yahoo groups that are great. The red foots are real friendly a little more care than the russians. I would start with any of those, I have them and just adore them :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks!! I'm printing out some stuff to read about them right now! :D I'm so excited! I love new things to read about!

I just Googled some pictures, and they are sooooo cute!! :love5: There is something about the little heads...

apbgv

Hatchling Member
Their little heads are really cute when they see you with a hibiscus flower or one of their favorite food like dandelions and their mouths are wide open as they come chasing you :D I love my torties

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Russians are probably the most common and are pretty easy to care for. But ALL torts need space. But relative to their size. For example, a Salcuta (african spur thigh) will get around 100lbs and needs a big yard. A russian stays around 6-8 inches, so an indoor tort table of about 4X8 for an adult is great.

They do need UVB and have heat and humidity and diet needs to consider. Russians are reasonably active compared to redfoots who are more shy.

Check out these forums for more info:

http://russiantortoise.org/
http://russiantortoisepictures.com/forum/index.php?action=forum
and
http://tortoiseforum.org/index.php

apbgv

Hatchling Member
I guess I will have to let my redfoots know they are suppose to be shy. They follow me everywhere when outside in the summer. Very personable little torts. :D :D :D The russians are friendly but seem to be more interested in the food, the red foots are a curious bunch.

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
That's good to know :D I've never owned one myself, just the russian. But that has been what i've been told about them and why I haven't persued getting one... Now you are making have to consider them agian :study:

Of those who have said they are more shy, their redfoots were kept inside in tort tables and tended to stay in their hides more than the russians who were out looking for food and exploring more. Sounds like they can be muck more 'social' than I thought. Good input!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info, guys! Redfoots and Russians both sound pefect! However, I just found out that there is a desert tortoise rescue nearby, and I think I might rescue a tortoise. What do you think about desert tortoises?

apbgv

Hatchling Member
Probably depends on the species of "desert" tortoise. I would find out what kind and do the research from there. I know there are some russians for adoption and other species thru Julie Maguire ~ http://www.turtlerescues. org Good luck with what ever tortie you get, they are fun little animals. Wish I lived in a warmer clime I would have a big one. :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks!

I have been reading a lot about all species mentioned, and I have narrowed down my options to either a desert tortoise (still not sure what kind the local rescue has) or a Russian tortoise. Red- and yellow-foots are really cool, the only problem is that I cannot provide the required humidity.

One thing is: we have a cat that lives outdoors, and our neighbors have 3 more. Would the cats be a risk to the tortoise? Would the tortoise be a risk to the cats? We also have raccoons and the occasional skunk. Would they provide a problem?

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
You don't want the cats pooing in the tort sand... Tort won't hurt the cats and most cats wouldn't mess with the tort. But coons and possums and dogs and coyotes and rats will be an issue. You need to provide some kind of protection, or at a minimum take it in at night. My pen will have a hardwire cloth top that even rats won't be able to get into. Some keep there torts fine for years with minimal protection offered. Not sure if they are just lucky, live in an area with few problem animals, or what... Others have had bad things happen by not taking enough precautions.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks! We don't have possums, rats, or coyotes, but we do have the occasional family of coons. However, we're going to be building a tall fence that I doubt they would climb; they're lazy fat city coons that sneak in our garage and eat the cat food... the cats will probably sneak in every now and then, but I've never seen one of our city raccoons climb a fence.

Spawn

Hello:
I would stay away from Desert Tortoises as they are not really a beginner's animal. They are burrowers and really should be provided with a burrow that builds up the right amount of humidity for them. Mind you they're not impossible to keep, just not a beginner tortoise. My choice would be a nice Redfoot Tortoise, Yellowfoot Tortoise, or a Spurred Tortoise. Russians can be a little touchy on occasion and I wouldn't really consider them a beginner's tortoise either.
Have a Great Day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom