Pet Store Beardie Growth Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 5 month old beardie from a pet store. He is so small. When I’ve seen other 5 month olds from breeders I am amazed at how huge they are. Atticus is probably 9” long from nose to tail. I feel his roaches and greens in hopes that the protein will bulk him up. He lives in a nice 75 gallon tank! I’ve had him for probably 3 weeks now, and I noticed a big difference from the first week to the second week but now I’m feeling like his growth is slowing down. He has shed three times since I’ve gotten him which I think is a good sign (tail, body, and then tail again yesterday). He’s got a nice, plump belly and is quite active, responsive, and curious. I just want to make sure his growth isn’t stunted and I’m doing everything to help him properly grow to a good size! He is a very, very happy little guy and has already bonded to me severely.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
If you've only had him for 3 weeks, then there's nothing to worry about. His growth may have been stunted with pet store husbandry, but shedding means that he's growing, so keeping doing what you're doing. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, as mentioned some of his behaviour may be stress related because of his new environment. Still,can you post pics of the tank as well as the light placement ? You need to be 100% sure the temps. + uvb are adequate in such a large tank and that it's not too cluttered + overwhelming him. Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

AtticusTheBeardie

Original Poster
95364-4505903125.jpg
AHBD":dcbqt04v said:
Hi there, as mentioned some of his behaviour may be stress related because of his new environment. Still,can you post pics of the tank as well as the light placement ? You need to be 100% sure the temps. + uvb are adequate in such a large tank and that it's not too cluttered + overwhelming him. Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Hot side is 90 degrees and cool side at 67 degrees

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a very nice set up. :) If I could make a suggestion, get a nice tall basking log rather than a hammock. It's much more natural and holds heat better + supports the body. Plus hammocks can snag nails and possibly twist a foot.

So exactly what type of lights do you have ? That is one of the most important things you will ever need for your dragon.

AtticusTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":5ing2gt0 said:
That's a very nice set up. :) If I could make a suggestion, get a nice tall basking log rather than a hammock. It's much more natural and holds heat better + supports the body. Plus hammocks can snag nails and possibly twist a foot.

So exactly what type of lights do you have ? That is one of the most important things you will ever need for your dragon.

For UVB I have the ReptiSun 10.0 and I have a 100w basking bulb and a 100w heat emmiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom