Pet Smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
FYI-
Have a few friends that are employees and managers at area stores and they are all telling me that the stores are getting very small BD in right now to cover all there sales. Looks like maybe only 10 day old or so BD. Fatalities are almost 30% in the stores and they have had a lot to vet with worm infestations.

littlegoron

Hatchling Member
I believe it. According to employees, our pet smart does take their animals to the vet with no concern of expense which is fantastic, and they also do give away special needs animals to people who can take care of them properly, and i think thats excellent, we're lucky to have good management here at our chain.

but they do get very tiny beardies in as well. i am always in horror when i see them, they look like newborns only a week old, most of them are not even 4" yet in length, shouldnt be eating anything larger than pincrix they're that tiny. they have constant stress marks due to their tinyness and i guess people staring in[myself included] doesnt help, plus theres 3-7 of them in one little glass cube, and you can always tell which one is the alpha and gets most of the food. im glad if they got sick they'd be rushed to the vet but i wonder what their death rate is
i know they move fast but im sure a lot of them go to inexperienced owners and hell, regardless of experience, sometimes babies that small just dont survive, it happens. its something i've been curious about. it makes me sad because they could wait the 3 weeks for them to be 6" and still make an excellent profit and im sure they'd sell just as quickly. :(

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
We got a great beardie from Petsmart. The Petsmart up the street from me sells lots of them. They are well cared for. They get what they need for the short time they are there. The vet is 30ft from their tanks!

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Crixus was from PetSmart and he turned out to be way healthier than my female I got from a breeder.. I do agree w/ the chain stores not being very knowledgeable and selling tiny little babies, but by no means are they all sickly..

zandi202

BD.org Addict
jacody":38gbtgge said:
Crixus was from PetSmart and he turned out to be way healthier than my female I got from a breeder.. I do agree w/ the chain stores not being very knowledgeable and selling tiny little babies, but by no means are they all sickly..

Definitely agreed. All six...seven of my babies have been from two different local Petco's and they're all thriving well. Well, the problems they have aren't Petco's fault anyways. :lol:

A2PA

I bought my first beardie from a local petsmart, and I had to put him down. He was just a bad gene dragon, which I'm guessing most of the petsmart beardies are. He was abnormally weak (usually dragged himself), he wasn't very intellegent (couldn't learn how to drink water, had to be hand watered daily) and due to him not drinking water often he got an impaction (and I'm guessing his stomach wasn't very developed since he often had un-digested worms in his poo) and I'm thinking he also had MBD from when he was at the store. His impaction bent up his spine and he flipped over whenever he moved and couldn't right himself.

After I decided his quality of life wasn't very well (you could tell he was in pain) I had to bring him to the shelter to have him put down.

My current beardie is from a breeder who has a lot of good dragons and runs a reptile/exotic pet shop, and is astonishingly more healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom