Persistent Diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

baker9903

My nine month old dragon has had persistent diarrhea for almost two months now. I've taken him to the reptile vet and had fecals done two separate times, both negative. He is still growing/shedding, he's alert, active and eats voraciously.
He has a large viv with a 14% arcadia t5, basking temp (with gun) of 110, warm is 85ish and cool is 75ish. He's had dubias, BSFls, supers and mealworms. He also actually eats his greens, he prefers turnip and dandelion. I've tried cutting out dubias for a while, did not make a difference. I cut supers out a month ago, still no difference. We're currently testing only BSFL and dubia and still no difference. His poops are huge, with a soft pile of brown, a firm white urate and surrounded by brown water. He often goes only every 3-5 days.
The vet said he looks very healthy and is stumped. He suggested a blood panel and radiographs as next step. My breeder suggested possible overhydration and to stop giving dubia for a while. Did that, no change.
Other ideas? I can post pics if needed. They are not pleasant.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What type of greens are you feeding? Usually that can be a culprit? Lots of squash green peppers red peppers anything w/ alot of hydration cucumbers ? etc

baker9903

Original Poster
My breeder had suggested the same. I got him in mid October and made him elaborate salads in the beginning with all types of greens, carrots, bell pepper and butternut squash. I noticed the veggies caused runnier stool so stopped doing those. He has only had dandelion, turnip, mustard, collard greens and occasional kale, spinach and arugula since mid December. He has had nothing but dandelion and turnip greens for the past two weeks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok talk w/ Cooper dragon - his dragon I believe has real runny stools- I think it's him you can PM him and ask-- they have a name for it like IBS for humans--

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guy has this too, as mentioned. Unfortunately I don't have a solution. I just feed him the squash that he loves to keep him well hydrated and clean up when it needs cleaning. He eats well and is very active and alert and he has been this way for the 5 years I've cared for him. Not to say there isn't an underlying issue, but I haven't found it yet and since he is otherwise OK I don't want to go prodding too much. It sounds like you are in a similar situation. Look out for other symptoms but for now since limiting hydration hasn't made a difference, I'd offer plenty of hydration to make up for what passes through.

baker9903

Original Poster
CooperDragon, that's so strange. At least, I assume it is. This isn't common is it? I'm just concerned. He has good genetics from a reputable breeder, my husbandry has been checked both here and in Frances Baines lighting group and his vet didn't find anything.
Do you have your guy on loose substrate? I'm confident my guy would be happier with the ability to dig but I don't really want to clean watery mud out of sand/soil every few days.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not common, but I don't know the cause, so I can't say it's the same between dragons. It just seems to not be harmful in the long term. My dragon is mostly free roaming around the house. His enclosure has shelf liner at the bottom and fleece blankets on top of that which allows him to dig and burrow when he wants to (that tends to be seasonal with him). He is trained (mostly) to poop on an area of linoleum which makes it WAY easier to clean up and sanitize.

If I were going to change substrate (and if he spent much time in his enclosure), I'd go with a large setup with bioactive substrate. That would have the best shot at being able to compost, but I don't really know how a bioactive setup would react to the messy wet poop since I haven't seen any examples from people who have both.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is not real common but I think that it is likely genetic & could be a slight kink in the GI tract
that causes too much fluid excretion. You could consider trying Bromelain to help with the
GI tract processing.
Are his urates formed at all?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom