People are Cruel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
A friend of mine runs a bearded dragon rescue and people frequently give her bearded dragon's that they cant care for.
Apparently someone thought it was a good idea to put a bearded dragon in a box and leave it on her porch all night!! They didn't ring the doorbell or knock!!
She found it nearly dead and she tried to save it...but sadly the dragon died shortly after she found it. I can't believe people would leave a dragon on the porch when it was 45°F outside!!
I won't even post the picture she sent, its too graphic. Horrible, horrible people!!

LouP

Or ignorant, may not even know what to be cold blooded means. Also, I doubt any of the folks doing this kind of stuff are in this forum at all. Just say'n.

LouP

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
That is horrfic!!!! I understand your point, LouP, but common sense would say not to leave ANY living thing is 45º weather!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
No Lou, I'm sure they aren't on this forum. The post wasn't written so they would see it. Just say'n

LouP

JessPets":3sk8chui said:
That is horrfic!!!! I understand your point, LouP, but common sense would say not to leave ANY living thing is 45º weather!

That's the point, they don't have any. Not by any means defending the action. I always wonder why and sometimes it's just beyond our conception.

LouP

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
I love that your friend feels so strongly about saving these guy that she runs a rescue! But seriously wth is wrong with the person who left him :( were they so worried about themselves looking bad for abandonment that they could even ring the bell and run!!!! I hate some people so much

Kevog08

Anyone who runs a reptile rescue is pretty darned cool!

But, it's so frustrating - it just seems like way too many folks get a dragon - and don't know the first thing about their basic care! Then, 2-3 months later with their dragon near death, they start asking questions. Sure, we all learn as we go and there are so many variables with beardies, but dang! I'm a member of a facebook group - that I'm going to have to resign from, because of the non-stop terrible stories (and pictures) from folks who could have avoided their dragon problems with 5 minutes of research...THREE MONTHS AGO!?!

I don't mean to be negative, but if you have a smart phone and just a tiny amount of effort - you can search so easily...and find lots of great info - like what you can find here.

Sorry...grumpy...

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I just got the picture and her text this morning. So just felt I needed to blow off some steam. Its going to take a bit to get the picture out of my head.
But yeah my friend really tries hard to save all the unwanted dragons. She's near 70 y/o and her entire house and garage is totally devoted to the dragons. Her house is basically an ecosystem.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, I've seen people that are oblivious even when the dragon is a walking [ or non walking ] skeleton.

Your friend is doing a great service for the poor dragons. I hope she doesn't get overwhelmed or let herself go downhill. The beardie that was left was no doubt ready to die due to neglect, the temp. alone would not have killed it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Running a reptile rescue is extremely difficult & emotionally draining, for sure.
I will never understand why people are so mean & cruel to animals, but if you believe in Karma, it will eventually catch up with them.

Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
This is just another part of "the rollercoaster ride" I posted about!!! This is a prime example of the ones I would like to have about 10 minutes alone with. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":2sn9e9a0 said:
This is just another part of "the rollercoaster ride" I posted about!!! This is a prime example of the ones I would like to have about 10 minutes alone with. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

Nah.... why exert yourself on such toe-rags .... just strip them naked and abandon them somewhere in the wilderness during a blizzard and see how they like it..

I'm not a fan of humanity , too may of us are stupid ignorant self centred self important AHs.

A large part of the problem is the fact that anyone who has the $ can walk into a pet shop over there (in the USA) and walk out with a reptile (any reptile they want and can afford) inside a few minutes , no questions asked , no licence needed to keep and breed them over there , not even any proper care guides provided in most cases , and in many cases the purchase is an impulse which fades when the novelty wares off or they discover it's actually expensive and time consuming to properly care for captive reptiles (if they ever care for them properly that is, and a lot don't because they wont be held responsible for failing to do so over there).
Really need to have proper regulation of the reptile "industry" and to introduce a reptile keepers' licence and proper enforcement of animal care guidelines.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
NO! We DO NOT NEED more regulations! I understand your point, but it WILL still happen, and just make things harder for us responsible reptile keepers! Do you want them to have regulations on owning dogs or cats? They are being abused and abandoned everyday, too, but that doesn't mean we should stop keeping them!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":ngeml1n6 said:
Gormagon":ngeml1n6 said:

Nah.... why exert yourself on such toe-rags .... just strip them naked and abandon them somewhere in the wilderness during a blizzard and see how they like it..

I'm not a fan of humanity , too may of us are stupid ignorant self centred self important AHs.

A large part of the problem is the fact that anyone who has the $ can walk into a pet shop over there (in the USA) and walk out with a reptile (any reptile they want and can afford) inside a few minutes , no questions asked , no licence needed to keep and breed them over there , not even any proper care guides provided in most cases , and in many cases the purchase is an impulse which fades when the novelty wares off or they discover it's actually expensive and time consuming to properly care for captive reptiles (if they ever care for them properly that is, and a lot don't because they wont be held responsible for failing to do so over there).
Really need to have proper regulation of the reptile "industry" and to introduce a reptile keepers' licence and proper enforcement of animal care guidelines.
For one I need the workout to stay in shape (its good for the cardiovascular system and, It'll be a good lesson for them to learn).
As for regulations, I know that living in Australia, you have grown accustom to governmental control over what you can and cannot do but, here life is a bit different. We don't want the government meddling in our personal lives. This is what started the revolutionary war and, brought our constitution into being. So in short I would say NO, we don't need more regulation, we need these pet stores to update their OLD SCHOOL LITERATURE to tell people the truth about these creatures and, maybe save the lives of the dragons they sell.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I totally agree with Jess and Gormagon, they saved me a bunch of typing. It wasn't very long ago we discussed this anyway, I would be repeating myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom