Pedialyte

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce82

Juvie Member
I think that gizmo need more hydration. his urate is very small lately. im starting him on Pedialyte. gave him 1cc this afternoon and gonna do another later before he goes to bed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A small urate doesn't necessarily indicate dehydration. A dry or chalky urate might. Sometimes they just don't produce urate with the poop and that's fine as long as it doesn't continue for an extended period of time. I'm not crazy about the amount of dextrose and sodium in pedialyte. It's not formulated for a dragon's system so while it may not be harmful I advise staying on the cautious side and sticking with tried and true plain water for extra hydration.

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok well I read up on it and it's recommended good for dehydrating but I guess I'll just stick to water. I gave him 1cc of it last night though

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some people swear by it which is fine. It's just my opinion that plain water is the way to go, not a rule. 1cc won't be harmful at all and you can continue using it if you wish. I think water will do just as well though, especially for an otherwise healthy dragon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that just a little more water is needed in his diet and you can skip the Pedialyte. That is not formulated for reptiles and is usually only used for severely dehydrated people/animals due to serious illness or a lot of vomiting.

Plain water is always best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom