Passing on Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
This is a hard post for me.

I have fallen on some very hard economic times and my support systems have as well. I am currently moving out of my house back into my parents. My parents have recently both lost jobs as well and are losing the house. Due to this, I have to let go of my beloved Spot.

I couldn't post this in forsale because I feel like it's wrong of me to put her up for sale, it isn't about the money, it's about the care of Spot. I couldn't post this in for free because I don't want to feel like I'm just passing her off. She is a great bearded dragon. He has a lot of personality and is in great health. She will be turning 2 in the middle of August. She was recently to the vet and it toppling the scale at over 300 grams. She is about 20 inches long and is in partial shed. She is a beautiful lizard. Unfortunately, I cannot continue to provide care for her. The electric bills are too high and without any income, it has come to this.

I live near Kalamazoo, MI. Unfortunately, I am without transportation so I will either need someone to pick her up or start a train.

I WILL be a pain. I do want to know that you know how to give her the best life she can have. I do want to know that you will care for her the same as I have been.

Please, serious inquiries only. I don't have internet right now, but I will try to get on as frequently as possible to check up on this.

Just to let you know, two weeks ago I took her to the vet because she had prolapsed. Her prolapse retracted on its own. She was not eggbound and she has never laid infertile eggs, she also was not impacted. The only probable cause was a hardened stool that she eventually passed. At that time she also had a fecal exam that came back negative. She has been regularly supplemented with calcium w/o vitamin D (she has a MVP) and multivitamins.

Thank you

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Erin, I am so sorry that times are hard and you are going to have to rehome Spot. Do you know if you could find someone to foster her until you can take her back over?

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My parents have been that role in the past. I am going to school in Indiana in the fall and the first semester I have to live on campus. So it would have to be for a few months if I found someone to do that. Like I said, my parents have lost their jobs and are losing the house. they're going to move into somewhere smaller and might not be able to house her anyhow. They can't afford the electric. They would be more than willing if they were able, I don't know who else to ask around here.

Thank you for the advice!

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
I am so very sorry!! If i were closer to you, i would be more than willing to hold on to her for you... just until you got everything straightened back out!! Its hard to make a decision like this... I cant even begin to imagine... my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and with spot!! I hope everything works out as best as i possibly can... I'm also sure everyone on here understands that you will be questioning where she will be and all that, it only goes to show how much you love her!! :( I think posting this here was a great idea, someone will help to give her a new wonderful home! Again i'm so very sorry.... :cry:

brandice

I feel your pain!! About 5 years ago I had to find a new home for my beardie. He was my baby! I had lost my job and my husband was out of work for over 2 months with medical issues so we ended up moving into a motor home behind my mom's house.... It broke my heart into 1000 pieces! My heart truly goes out to you! :cry:

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, it does suck more than I can explain. But at the same time, if it's the right person, I know that she will have the best quality of life and that will put my mind at ease. In the meantime, I'm spoiling her.. hopefully I don't pass on a chubby beardie ;)

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
spurlee01":hi26nskj said:
Where in Indiana will you be going to school?

I'd like to know as well.

Could you hold out until you get to indiana?
Habitat and lights included?
what is her diet, specifically insects how many and what kind will she eat?

We'd have to think about it, but it might not be that big of a deal for us to feed one more for a while until you can get on your feet. It would have to be temporary, my place is cramped enough as it is. There is no way I could get up there though, that's too far of a drive for me. I live just south of Indianapolis, about halfway between there and bloomington. Also I could not afford to buy another habitat and equipment and stuff.

Or if Spurlee01 is interested, I noticed you live in Louisville. That's like a 3 hours drive from where I'm at. If someone could get Spot to me, I might be able to help getting her there. Meeting halfway wouldn't be too bad.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I am going to Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, MI. I believe it's about 40 minutes from Indianapolis. I am looking into "commuter" residences right now so that I can hopefully keep her while I am at school. Holding out until Aug/Sept will not be an issue at all. As long as my parents can keep the house, Spot can have a place here, I believe.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
It is *possible* that I could take her while you were at school if all else fails, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. I'm about 2 hours from Indy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Erin, that is just too bad, I am sorry to hear about this. This economy is knocking everyone on their butts. I am afraid that this is going to happen to a lot more people, too.
I wish that I was closer, as I am all of the way down in Florida. I would help you out. I am sorry that there isn't more that I can do.
At least there are so many generous & helpful people on here.

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tracie,

You have helped me on numerous occasions whether it be my own paranoia or an actual issue with Spot. BeardedDragon.org has been a God-send! I leave the site w everyone I know who comes into contact with these awesome reptiles!

Erin

1021757.jpg

There is a recent picture of Spot.. taken now actually. Her tank looks small, but it's a 75 gallon tank. I don't think from the picture you can tell, but three of her legs are currently in shed as well as her tail and underbelly, I'm curious to see how big she gets, I haven't seen her completely OUT of shed since the first month I got her! She is on newspaper right now for 2 reasons. I took her to the vet about 2 weeks ago because he had a small prolapse (which retracted on its own thanks to sugar water soaks and vaseline). Her fecal tests came up negative, but they found some eggs and she is currently still on Baytril and Panacur - extra precaution - remove anything that can be unsanitary. And the second and last.. I moved back to my parents and wanted to sterilize everything before putting it back in her tank. You all know from moving that you want to do as little as possible initially and then later finish.. So, within the next year all my stuff should be put away, right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom