Parasites + Age + Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Our beardie has had chronic problems with coccidia. We gave him 3 doses of Toltrazuril 3 weeks ago, and his poops got 100% better....but we've gone through this 4 times, and the coccidia returns a few weeks later. This is the first time we've tried the Toltrazuril though, hopefully it does the trick. He had a clear fecal test a week later. For the first time he kept eating through the treatment, which was great.

For the past 5-7 days he hasn't touched any food, and he will pretty much sit with his head poking our of his hide 75% of the day, taking naps from time to time. The temp has dropped overall in the viv, just because the house is cooler in the winter. About 4 days ago he had his last bowl movement, which was quite small. Now I think he may have been clearing his system out to start a 'burmation'. He's only about 10 months to a year old...is he too young to start burmating?

I'm a little worried about the coccidia returning while he's in this lazy state...and especially if he goes in to full brumation. And since he has not had a bowl movement, we haven't been able to do a fecal (we have our own microscope, and have done it many times). I don't think he'll be having a movement anytime soon either. Not sure if I have a choice here.....but what can I do?

He weighed about 380g 7 days ago, now he weighs about 370.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How's he doing ? He's big enough to go into brumation, and I think it's good to give a break from the meds. He could also be hiding because he's not happy about being given the meds. Did you by chance give a pro biotic [ like sy yogurt, Acidophiliz+ or Benebac ] to restore the good gut flora that the meds. would destroy ? It's a good idea so that his immune system will stay stronger.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

Here's an update.

After a couple of week of Draper just lounging around, he just 'woke up' one day. He was hyperactive. He ate a ton and ran around his viv like a wild man. This lasted for about a week or a little longer. I was able to get a stool sample and he was clear of parasites!

Then he started slowing down again. He started slowing down his eating again about 10 days ago. For the past 3 days he didn't eat at all, and today he never got out of his hide. I took a look, and gave him a rub on the back...he flinched a little, but didn't open his eyes. He's pooped almost everyday for the past week.

It looks like he's shutting it down again. I don't mind it so much this time since he seems very healthy, and I got the clear stool sample.

I think I'll set the timer for a shorter daytime cycle, and maybe only run the UVB every other day....or just make sure it's on when he's out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom