paralisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
I noticed on the thursday 16th that Duma could not move his back legs. Pretty much like bits of jelly, he could feel slightly in his right leg but not in his left at all. He could not use either, we took him to the vet in Romford for reptiles and birds, we had to leave him there, they did an x-ray to find any broken bones but he had none. They suspected nerve damage possibly from a fall. He was given anti-inflamitaries but no improvement, since we started his medication from getting him back on the friday. He has not eaten much at all apart from around 5 waxworms since last saturday, half a grape and a little bit of lettuce and strawberry. He seems reasonably content, I have removed all he items he could have fallen off, so no damage could be sustained.

I renewed his light as a standard 6-8 month thing, the temps are 100oC roughly in the hot area and just over 80oC in the cool. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have also tried giving him lucozade as recomended to give him a boost of electrolites. He has had a swim in the bath everyday and physiotheripy.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he does seem reasonably alert quite often, he can move around using his front legs, so we may invest in a sort of mobility board with wheels to support his back end.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
What type of uv bulb do you have?
And are you advising that the temps are actually 100 degrees Celsius and 80 degrees Celsius or did you mean Fahrenheit?

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oops they would be cooked if it was celcius, no it is farenhiet. The UV bulb is fresh i dont really know which one it is, but it does deffinately work, i think it is around UV3

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i remember i bought it in a green, white and red box. that much i remember. I dont think it was reptisun i am not sure i will check

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
UV 5%

I will have a look at what brand i bought. I have always bought my UV lights from the local aqua-varium, which stock high quality lights, it may have been reptisun i am not 100% sure.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
snuffel said:
UV 5%

quote]

when it says 5.0 on the tube that doesn't necceserily mean that it is 5% UV does it? because that is what i am referring to.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Yes, that is what that means. :)
You need a 10% or 10.0 or better. Never the repti_GLOs however, they just cause more trouble than it is worth.
The Arcadia is actually rated higher than a Repti-sun, so just check it out. Oh, and here is a great read:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm
This allows you to understand more about the output of different tubes, bulbs and mvbs.
Hope this helps out :)
Janie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The percentage numbers get a little confusing but they were put on the bulbs as an indicator of percentage of UVA versus UVB for the total percentage output of the light when it is measured with a UVB meter.
So, the 5% means that out of the total output of light when it was measured, it only put out say 5% of the UVB output when compared to the rest of the light that made up of UVA. So a 5% bulb would put out less usable UVB emissions than a 10% bulb which would be a good amount stronger.
Really though, the best way to determine the strength is to look at the overall uWcm2 or the microwatts (strength of UVB) as measured by a UVB meter. That is the best indicator of quality of bulb.

Tracie

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
spurlee01":4fda4 said:
When was the last time your beardie had a BM? Did the vet check him for impaction?

The only thing the vet could find in the x-ray was that he had gas that was all, no fractures or anything. They also did a white blood cell test and he is slightly low in that but only because the other UV bulb which i replaced was slightly too old they said that should pick up. As well as the calcium levels.

But what is a BM?

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
zebraflavencs":94dd1 said:
Okay, regardless of what brand, 5% just isn't enough uvb output to maintain the D3 process.

Here is the Arcadia 12%, found in the UK. A marvelous tube, and will do the job quite nicely:
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/arcadia-d3-reptile-tube-12-353-p.asp

There you are, lov :)
Janie.

I also noticed that this light is much cheaper than the one i buy. However the light i purchased is the light that is used largely throughout the store and she (the owner) hasn't had any problems, but i will look into buying the the light you have recomended, instead as a replacement. It was interesting because around 8 months ago my female died we don't know how, but the temps were fine she had the right diet, but she was purple, mouth open and eyes closed so i dont know there...

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
BM is bowel movement, or poop. I've heard of rear-leg paralysis from feeders that were too large or being unable to poop.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom