Paper towels...for less??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
We use paper towels like crazy....with a 75 gallon tank and a 30 (soon to be 40) gallon to cover and change daily (at least) is becoming quite expensive, no matter what brand we buy. I know it's supposed to be one of the cheaper substrates, but we are constantly running out! We don't want to use anything else, but does anybody know where to buy more for cheaper? I've looked at some places, but I can't seem to find a better deal. Any sites or brands would be greatly appreciated...maybe one that sells the type used in bathrooms lol? :D
Thanks,
Abi

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
Hmmm...I have no idea. Can I ask why you choose the paper towel?? I use to use paper towel with Dudlee, but it just got too much. I usually just keep looking at walmart for sales! But finally got her on tile which is awesome.

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
I use indented Kraft paper. I buy it on 2' X 300' rolls for $16.12 each. Tang's cage is 5' x 2' so one roll lasts me a long time. I put a piece that covers half the cage then another piece that goes on the other half and they overlap a little. I end up only changing one side because he only poops on the right side of the cage. So I use pieces that are a little longer than 2 1/2' X 2' so one roll gives me a little over 100 paper changes. I only change his paper once a day because he only poops once a day. It soaks up pretty good, I have a little spray bottle of Healthy Habitat Cleaner and paper towels next to the cage so I can spot clean if I need to. Maybe this paper will work for you? I ordered 3 rolls at a time so I wouldn't run out and save on shipping. Here is the link where i get it:

http://www.packagingsupplies.com/Indented_Kraft_Paper_Rolls.html

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Check with your local newspaper, they may have end rolls of newsprint. Some sell it by the pound, some sell it by eye, but all in all, its cheap. It's much cleaner than printed newspaper and should be cheaper than paper towels.

We use wheat bran, clumps like kitty litter. scoops, edible(no impaction), last for a month if scooped daily and the little amount replaced and only costs about $2.50 per 33 gallon (about 2 inches deep)

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We use paper towels because Kaira and Taz have both had troubles with coccidia. Kaira's free of parasites now, but Taz is still fighting them (he's doing much better now). So, we have decided to continue to have a "hospital type tank". ONLY paper towels or the newsprint isn't a bad idea...I've thought about Kraft paper, but I don't really know what it looks like :oops: .
elisabaker":22b85 said:
I use indented Kraft paper. I buy it on 2' X 300' rolls for $16.12 each. Tang's cage is 5' x 2' so one roll lasts me a long time. I put a piece that covers half the cage then another piece that goes on the other half and they overlap a little. I end up only changing one side because he only poops on the right side of the cage. So I use pieces that are a little longer than 2 1/2' X 2' so one roll gives me a little over 100 paper changes. I only change his paper once a day because he only poops once a day. It soaks up pretty good, I have a little spray bottle of Healthy Habitat Cleaner and paper towels next to the cage so I can spot clean if I need to. Maybe this paper will work for you? I ordered 3 rolls at a time so I wouldn't run out and save on shipping. Here is the link where i get it:

http://www.packagingsupplies.com/Indented_Kraft_Paper_Rolls.html
I can't tell from the picture what type of texture that is...can you describe it?
We use Nolvasan for spot cleaning, but we do just throw the paper towels away after the poop. With coccidia we have to. We don't use bleach...I know somebody is going to say something about it being the only thing that kills coccidia, but Kaira was able to get rid of it with some medication, probiotics, and immediately removing poop (along with daily baths and cleanings with Nolvasan). Taz is almost coccidia-free.
Anyways back to the paper towels. LOL.
We have thought about tiles, but as you see our situation is a bit more complicated...I probably should have said that in the beginning.
bigmonkeyjoe":22b85 said:
We use wheat bran, clumps like kitty litter. scoops, edible(no impaction), last for a month if scooped daily and the little amount replaced and only costs about $2.50 per 33 gallon (about 2 inches deep)
I refuse to use any loose substrate, so that's not an option for me. Plus, Taz is just 4 months old...it's not recommended to keep any beardie on a loose substrate until they are 6 months old (IMO & what I've read). And with the coccidia, any loose substrate will harbor(sp?) bacteria. Thanks for responding, but it's just not an option for us.

I'll see about the newsprint, though, and the Kraft paper. Thanks everybody! :D
Abi

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
amalsg07":640e6 said:
I can't tell from the picture what type of texture that is...can you describe it?
Its like kinda bumpy, it's got little indents in it. I took an up close pic of it:

17u54m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom