Panicking about salmonella

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to pick up my dragon Dawkins in 3 days and I'm beginning to panic about cleaning his tank. I've already set it up and I'm in the process of tweaking the tempetures to be just right for him to come home to. I was all ready to care for him after having done over 6 months of research when I remembered that they carry salmonella and we have an 18 month old in the house. If he got salmonella poisoning it'd kill him. How do I clean Dawkins' salad bowl and waterfall without putting everyone at risk. If I use the kitchen sink wouldn't I be spraying salmonella everywhere? Thanks for the help everyone! :D

nursejones813

Juvie Member
I'm not a reptile expert. However, I am a nurse. I also have kids. Think of like raw chicken or pork. It could contain salmonella. Clean whatever your beardies dishes come in contact with, with a 20% bleach 80% water solution. And after you bathe him make sure you clean your sink or tub with the same solution. If your baby (human) wants to pet your baby (dragon), just make sure to wash his hands well before he puts them in his mouth! Lol! And be sure to wash your hands after handling your dragon. Our Beardie is in my 9yr olds room. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer right next to his cage. If you practice good hand washing and keep your beardies contact areas clean, you shouldn't have any issues. :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In over 10 years i've never been affected by salmonella.

Its a risk that is there, but far from anything you need to panic or even worry about. Don't touch your beardies vent or poo and then immediatly eat a big of chips and you should be fine...

-Brandon

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
1 in 3 beardies carry salmonella. Salmonella is very rare. It also does effect young children worse but don't stress. If you know what you are doing, don't worry. I believe the salmonella is in the poo. It probably won't go in the food bowl unless your dragon likes to finger paint. I clean the food bowls if they are messy from squash in my kitchen sink after putting the dishes in the dish washer/cleaning them. I then spray the kitchen sink with hot water. You could also clean in a bathroom sink so there is no exposure to food. Wash hands in a bathroom sink so there is no exposure to food. When cleaning the tank, I take everything to the backyard and spray and scrub with this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4128681&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo It gets rid of smell and I use in cricket keepers and roach bins. It gets it clean. It can be harmful if you breath it.

Hope I helped.

Sheena

You could also just clean his things outside. And not clean them in the bathroom or kitchen where people go for that VERY reason.

Just a thought.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You actually have a bigger risk of getting salmonella from chicken or pork. It's the feces that you have to worry about so as long as your beardie is kept clean and no-one puts their hands in their mouths after touching any feces material, all should be fine. I have had beardies over 11 yrs and never had any issues at all and I'm not overly cautious either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom