Palm Dates in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

scm133

Juvie Member
I have two palm trees that are producing dates. Can these be given to Bearded Dragons? I checked the BeautifulDragon nutrition section, but no mention of dates. They are orange and we eat them all the time. Here is the nutritional contents:

Vitamins
A palm date has 1 percent of the daily value for vitamin B6 and niacin. Palm dates do not contain a significant amount of vitamin A or vitamin C.
Minerals
The potassium content of a palm date is 54.4 mg, which provides 2 percent of the daily value for potassium. A palm date also has 1 percent of the daily value for copper, magnesium and phosphorus. The sodium content in a palm date is 0.2 mg, making it an insignificant source of sodium. Palm dates contain no calcium or iron.
What do you think?? :?: :?:

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I think they can eat a lot of things being true omnivores and should be offered variety of food in captivity. Some things shouldn't be fed as often and as much than others. As for dates, I'm not sure if it's good for them in large quantity, but I do know that most fruits are deficient in nutrients and therefore should only be given in small quantity so as not the take up a lot of the space in the stomach because they can only eat so much; this way are eating things that are more nutritious. They are not like people and dogs, which will gorge themselves on food. that's why I tell people if you are feeding the right food it's hard to overfeed. They can only eat so much so most of the food should make up of things that are nutritious.

scm133

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Paradon":4y8wbqa1 said:
I think they can eat a lot of things being true omnivores and should be offered variety of food in captivity. Some things shouldn't be fed as often and as much than others. As for dates, I'm not sure if it's good for them in large quantity, but I do know that most fruits are deficient in nutrients and therefore should only be given in small quantity so as not the take up a lot of the space in the stomach because they can only eat so much; this way are eating things that are more nutritious. They are not like people and dogs, which will gorge themselves on food. that's why I tell people if you are feeding the right food it's hard to overfeed. They can only eat so much so most of the food should make up of things that are nutritious.
Thanks, and I totally agree. His main veggie is mustard greens, and occassional hibiscus. I haven't found a fruit that he likes. I am a believer in variety, also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom