Pain relief/remedies for a swollen toe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitlings

Hi all, I have a 1-year old dragon with a swollen toe, who got checked out by an exotic vet last week. A x-ray revealed the toe was fractured, and has evidence (fuzzy margins on the bone) that there is an infection present. She was prescribed the injectable antibiotic certazidime (fortaz 100mg/ml).

1) Is there a mild pain reliever I can give to her? I feel really bad when I give her the needle injections, and she looks visibly in pain and annoyed. Afterwards, she paces around her tank and has trouble falling asleep at night. Normally, she's out like a light when her tank lights shut off, but tonight she was glass surfing like crazy. I wonder if the pain is making it hard for her to settle down.

2) Is there something I can do to stop the swelling? Or make her a splint maybe? She keeps running around her tank and I'm afraid she's going to re-injure her toe. The vet said if it doesn't start healing, the tip of her toe may need to be amputated. Is there anything I can do to stabilize the toe and stop the swelling?

I plan to ask my vet as well, but it's the weekend and they're closed, and I always get good advice from you guys ;)

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Metacam seems to be a popular pain medication prescribed by vets. I’ve had to give it via syringe orally. Otherwise, Silkworms are a natural pain reliever, usually hard to get your hands on and a little expensive but are known to ease discomfort !

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kitlings":37u91y57 said:
Hi all, I have a 1-year old dragon with a swollen toe, who got checked out by an exotic vet last week. A x-ray revealed the toe was fractured, and has evidence (fuzzy margins on the bone) that there is an infection present. She was prescribed the injectable antibiotic certazidime (fortaz 100mg/ml).

1) Is there a mild pain reliever I can give to her? I feel really bad when I give her the needle injections, and she looks visibly in pain and annoyed. Afterwards, she paces around her tank and has trouble falling asleep at night. Normally, she's out like a light when her tank lights shut off, but tonight she was glass surfing like crazy. I wonder if the pain is making it hard for her to settle down.

2) Is there something I can do to stop the swelling? Or make her a splint maybe? She keeps running around her tank and I'm afraid she's going to re-injure her toe. The vet said if it doesn't start healing, the tip of her toe may need to be amputated. Is there anything I can do to stabilize the toe and stop the swelling?

I plan to ask my vet as well, but it's the weekend and they're closed, and I always get good advice from you guys ;)

I'd pick up the phone and call the treating vet and ask for some pre-prepared needles of suitable doses of pain relief ( based on the dragon's bodymass ) be prepared and made ready for you to collect from the receptionist's desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom