Ozzy is dyeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last few days Ozzy has been what appears to be coughing. As of yesterday this coughing has been (mostly) replaced with him opening his mouth going flat and swollowing the air.As this started mid afternoon march 31 his beard turned black and has not sense turned back and he has kept his head tilted upright the coughing and air swollowing continued randomly throughout the night keeping him awake.. he is still awake now and it is 2:00 in the morning)=.. I brought him to a vet roughly a month and a half ago. In witch they gave me panacur and baytril.the panacur was given once then given again 2 weeks later. the baytril was supposed to be given 14 days daily. just short of a week the baytril started to really take it out of him. he would become very weak and turn black. stopped the baytril after day 9. a few weeks after this he contracted mites. I have given him multiple baths in betadine and cant get rid of them. PLEASE HELP!!!!

DylanNebel

Original Poster
I to think he has a respiratory infection, although i have no money for a vet visit. I still have more then enough Baytril left to give him the 14 day dosage, but i am concerned with this as the results of the first dosing, along with the fact these mites seem to be draining much out of him.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
What are the temps in his viv and do you have a temp gun or digital thermometer witj probe to messure them with?

DylanNebel

Original Poster
He is housed in a 55g tank.im using a reptisun 10 and a 100watt basking daylight bulb. i have a 75watt night light.(using to try and keep his humidity down,random spikes in humidity at night??) currently using paper towel as substrate.I have reptile carpet after i get rid of the mites.2 Zoo med thermometers 1 temp, 1 temp humididty combo. also have temp gun. his low side is low 80-84 hot side 92-96.humidity is 30%

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
The basking spot should really be 105-110F. At night you don't want a colored bulb - a CHE is best for keeping temps up if you need to.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is Ozzy & how much does he weigh?
He may have been overdosed on the Baytril, what what was the concentration of it, do you know?
Were you giving him probiotics also while he was on the meds & even now after he has gone off?

What type of substrate & tank logs/decor are you using?
Did you bring a log in from outside that could have had mites on it?
I would take everything out of his tank to soak/disinfect that you can. Just take any wood items that you can & soak them in hot water then you can bake them at 250 or so for 20-30 minutes to kill anything in them.
When you bathe him, use a soft bristle to help see if you can get them off of him. You could also use a touch of rosemary & olive oil to try & get them removed.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

DylanNebel

Original Poster
thank you for the link made him a paper towel teppe and postured him up last night but he reluctantly kept going in a circle. i raised his basking temp.as far as accessories go he has a hammock a fake branch and a little pillow i put in there to posture him last night. i hav gottin rid of everything else sense the mites(whichi just ordered mite off.) As far as age his old owner told me he was 3 when i got him but i have had him almost 2 years and he has not grown in my care. he weighed 700grams at the vet visit. His prior owner told me to just give him crickets a couple times a week he had uv light that i believe was never changed. his food dish says 2002 on the bottom if she bought this dish when she got this dragon (which i pray she didnt) that would make ozzy 11. i bought a new soft bristle tooth brush when i bought the Betadine. he was dosed .04ml once daily for 14 days.using paper towel until the mites are gone the i have some reptile carpet.no probiotics.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Ozzy doing today?
That is great you have him on paper towels then that should help eliminate the mites.
What is the humidity in the tank? Mites like humidity/water so if you do have any water dish with water in it go ahead & remove that for now to discourage mite growth.
The 0.04ml sounds fine, based on his weight, for the Baytril. That is a small amount, assuming the concentration was good. If you have any non dairy soy yogurt or acidophiliz, you can use that for probiotics to help his tummy if needed.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

DylanNebel

Original Poster
Sorry i have not been posting. I got the mite off today and the directions read -spray evenly over entire body,legs,and tail. My question is should i bathe him after and if so how long should i wait. Also i plan to start treating his Respiratory infection tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can probably leave the mite off spray on for 24 hours before bathing. What are the ingredients on the bottle?
Are you starting him on Baytril for a respiratory issue?

I hope he is doing better today.
Tracie

DylanNebel

Original Poster
Thought you all should know ozzy past away yesterday.i buried him this morning with all all his belongings and gave him a nice little funeral )=.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom