Ozma lazy, not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shekibobo

About a week ago, Ozma started acting more lazy than her usual self, just lying around all day, ignoring crickets in her cage. This coincided with a burnout of one of her heat lamps. It was a couple days before I could get to the store to replace it, and since then, I've barely seen her eat, and she tries to hide from the lamps a lot. Today, I got her to eat a raspberry, but only one. She seemed to not be interested in food after that.

I've been thinking she'll probably get over it after a few days, so I just let it go, and have been keeping an eye on her. But it's been a while, and I'm starting to worry. Today I tried turning off the UVB lamp, since the ReptiGlo10.0 has been known to cause problems of appetite, but I still haven't seen any change. It has been colder around here at night. Is it possible she thinks she's supposed to be hibernating?

Hopefulresearch

Juvie Member
The best advice I can give you is to trust your gut.

Here are some things to watch out for.
Lathergic
Closing eyes often
eyes kinda sink into head alittle bit
doesn't react to other stuff
doesn't even try to hold herself up

Those were all things I noticed with my previous beardie. But again... Trust your gut, if you feel she's acting unusual talk to a vet

good luck!

jupiter_bug

and what could it be if the dragon has all those symptoms? sorry to change dragons, but my dragon has all those symptoms and i took her to the vet yesterday and they only gave me an antibiotic.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
How old is your dragon? My 9 month old is acting like this but I'm 90% sure it's brumation. I've been told of 7 and 8 month olds brumating too.

jupiter_bug

mine is almost 2 yr old. this would be her first time going into brumation. and i was almost 90% positive she ws going into it. but then shes lost weight very quickly within the last 3-4 weeks. and then on sunday she vomited up her food from thursday. (last time she ate anything) i took her to hte vet yesterday and they said she pooped. and that it was normal.as if they did a fecal, i dont know. being a reptile vet i figure they know hwat they are doing!the vet said she didnt like the wya my dragon was acting. very lethargic, eyes shut slmost constantly, and limp. id like to think shes going into brumation but she keeps diong weird things. i thought she was gonna die yesterday. i gave her gatorade and some water. then she just stiffened up. then came back to being lethargic and eyes closed. but still breathing. i dont know much about brumation. ive tried reading alot on it lately thinking mine was going through it. but i dont know anymore.i hope yours and mine are both just going through brumation

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Jupiter, the fact that your dragon is vomitting does not sound like brumation at all. What UVB light do you use? What are the temps? That's all I can think of...

jupiter_bug

She only vomitted once.As for the uvb light...yeah its the freaking wrong one. This whole time I thought I was doing everything right, and here I have the repti-glo and not the repti sun. She has seemed to be fine with that brand for the past year and a half. I am so irritated. I'm going to order a reptisun online here in a few minutes. I dont think at this point its going to do any good. By the time I receive it,it'll be next week sometime. As for the the temps she's at 115. Plus natural sunlight during the day. and cool side 80-85...I've also noticed, she is mainly responisve to when I turn on the water. She will watch the stream and drink. Then she will just watch it. When she had her eyes open today I moved her around and I watched her eyes and they seemed to jump. If you understand what I mean. They kind of jump like when your drunk. It's not a fluent motion. Atleast its something I've never noticed before. My vet told me she has an overwhelming infection, the bladder stone has nothing to do with the way shes acting. She didnt do a fecal. and didnt recommend a blood test. I felt like I was pulling teeth with this vet. It's apparently not easy finding a reptile vet. Arggghhh I'm so irritated. I just want my baby to be ok. Just hope her antibiotics will do something. I hope shes not in any pain.and if something does happen I hope she is comfortable.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Go ahead and turn the reptiglo off for now, it's doing much more harm than good. Also, is there any way that you can get her temperatures down? 115* may be too hot. I ussually try not to let mine get above 108*. She also sounds like she could be dehydrated. Is she getting baths daily? Just watch her closely in the bath since she's weak right now.
Sara

jupiter_bug

I havent had her uvb on since last Sunday. I'm going to the pet store early this afternoon and seeing if they have a repti-sun. If not then I'll be ordering online. I've also been turning off her heat lamp during the day because of the temps. She is located right in front of a window that gets sunlight almost all day. I believe thats when i had checked her temps before. With just the sun the temps seem to be around 100.Nice thing is, she only gets the sun on her warm side. So I dont have to worry about it on the cool side. I have been giving her baths and a vitamin spray. its "four paws" Nature's Reptile Vita spray. Since shes not eating. I want her to get vitamins. When I do give her a bath, she seems very intrigued by the water stream. She will drink the water. Then when shes had enough she will start to go lazy. Thats when I watch, she cant seem to walk well either. Her muscles have become weak, and she is kinda shakey when she goes to walk.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Is it possible that you could take her outside to get some sun? I ask because some areas of the country are not warm enough yet. Where we live it will be warm enough for another month yet.

jupiter_bug

The weather here is actually starting to get colder. Right now its 63* and it hasnt warmed up enough during the day to be able to take her out. I usually dont take her out unless its 72 or so. I have her in her cage and she seems to be doing fine. Shes not trying to sleep constantly. Shes enjoying her warmth. Bug did poop this morning and it was really watery, and brown. Thats a first that the liquid has been brown.It didnt smell terrible. She has had smelly poops and that sure wasant one of them.lol.Bug has been a lil more alert watching out the window and watching the planes go by. I'm unsure of this being an improvment or not. I've had a tough week so I've had her with me the whole time because I didnt know when I'd be getitng back home. I have been keeping her in sunlight, so that she still gets the heat and sun. With a heating pad to stay warm. I need to get her a timer for her lights. I do have one but I have yet to figure out how it works. I've tried it, but I cant get the times right. I've just been tryin to monitor her actions with keeping her with me. :(

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
if you are at all worried get a fecal done - all these symptoms can be caused by parasites, runny poo is a classic one

she needs a basking light, an ordinary bulb will do for that, a heat pad is not good for a dragon, they can burn themselves easily as they don't feel the heat from underneath

and she needs uvb - a couple of hours a day in the sun will be enough but it must be direct sunlight, not through glass

jupiter_bug

The vet told me that parasites arent the problem. It's an overwhelming infection. I did mention it though. I may go to a different vet. She has a basking light. Shes in it all the time. As for the heating pad I keep it on the low setting and it shuts off after an hour.I keep a blanket or towel between her and the heating pad, and I only use the heating pad in the winter. Because she is spoiled and she doesnt sleep in her cage at night. She has her own pillow with heat, blanket, and a teddy bear. I usually put her in the window sill if its not too cold to soak up the natural rays. Thats gonna have to do until I get her reptisun in, next week. I ordered it this morning.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
the windowsill is no good - uvb does not penetrate glass, she needs to be outside to get uvb from the sun

jupiter_bug

When in the windowsill she is in the window with the glass open. It's just the screen between her and outside. She seems to be feeling a lil better. We've been giving her, her antibiotics. Shes been more awake. Still not eating, and still a grape sized lump in her stomach. supposedly a bladder stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom