Overconfident Lizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Ok, I am working with my best friends lizard, he is VERY VERY angry or she...

Anyhow, when I take him out, he gets very upset, he hiss, puffs and his beard turn BLACK, however the rest of the lizard is light, barely visible stress marks under the tummy so he don't really seem scared but very pissed off...

How do I know the difference?

I always hold him til he calms down and closes his mouth, once he relaxes, I let him back in to show that hey see nothing happened and when your kind you get to be free... However if I move too quick while doing this he will hiss again..

and petting him under his chin is ok, but if I try to pet him on the head he starts tail lashing and wheesing at me.

We have had him and his brother since they were just a few weeks old.

Mine is always calm, cuddly, affectionate etc, my friend is really sad cause she wanted a nice lizard as a pet. She was looking forward to bring him everywhere as I bring my Hercules here.. She can barely touch him, and now she's scared of him... He was nice in the beginning, as a hatchling he was very inquistive, always ran around, sniffing everything with his tounge, mine mostly sat on me enjoyed being petted..

Im hoping he will grow out of it as he grows older.. Her lizards aggression that is...

She will buy a new terrarium for him next month cause I think that the set up might effect him, he was good as long as he was with my lizard, but my lizard ate most of the food cause he was a better hunter so we separated them and now mine is easily Id say 2 times bigger... Her's did have MBD however due to lack of correct UV light and got stunted in growth but has been growing since, shedding very often now... Just mine grow faster...

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
How old is her beardie?
He sounds scared, not mad. The color on the belly may or may not be related to stress. There hasn't been a study on it to the best of my knowledge. Frankly, I think it relates more to temps.
I think some serious confidence building needs to happen with that lizard.
Honestly, if she's scared of him- that's probably not the best situation for either of them. I think daily handling is going to be crucial! Make sure that when you are picking him up, you are scooping from under- it sounds like he's especially sensitive to things hanging over him!

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I cant scoop him from under, the set up wont allow it, and he's running rampid in there...

I do handle him daily for her, hoping that he will calm down..

Im also gonna try handfeeding him here soon and the beardie burrito..

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
How old is the beardie?
If he's somewhere between 7-10 months, he's probably got an especially pain in the ass case of adolescence.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
he is around there, they are about a year old in two three months.. But he started prior to 7 months old as well..
We were thinking that it might be that phase too, but I dont give up without a fight.

Its just so weird my bearded who is a clutch mate are the total opposite, the sweetest beardie you can imagine..

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Dont worry, you are not the first one to have had to tame your dragon. Even with the worst behaviour a dragon can be tamed.
When I first rescued Dex (an adult missing an arm) she had never been handled and was pretty much feral. She bit me, scratched me and hissed at me.
With some patience and a few tricks she turned into the biggest cuddlebug in the world who constantly wanted to sit in my lap and be stroked.

He is most likely opening her mouth at you because she views you as a threat. As soon as she is comfortable with you she will calm down.

I used the following tricks that helped her settle down:

Start putting your hand in her tank, flat but dont touch her. She'll see your not there to grab her. Do this every now and then for a day or so.
Once youve done for a while start only hand feeding her (wriggley worms work best). If she goes to bite you be brave and try not to flinch, just raise your hand up and remove the food. She'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.

When you try handling her try it an hour or so after lights out when she'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. At this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. If she doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loved mine.

When you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get her out, and let her run around near you, like on the bed or on the floor in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). She'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if she runs around exploring she'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick her up.

Remember:
When you go to pick up your beardie do not approach her from the back or the side, this is predatry behaviour and will spook her.
Lay your hand flat in front of her for a few seconds and then slide it underneath her. Once you have picked her up like this yuo can reposition her on your hand.

It can also work wonders to add one of your old tshirts to her tank (make sure you've worn it for an hour or so), as it means she will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
When you handle her remember not to smell like food or aftershave.

and repeat!

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.

Keep us posted!

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom