Outside time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone... I have separated Bruce and Natasha into separate 55 gal aquariums. I am still waiting on my replacement bulb for my reptisun 10.0 so I have been taking them outside separately for at least an hour a day. Yesterday when I took Bruce out, he just chilled out with me in the lawn chair I was sitting in. When I decided to take him in I sanitized my hands and took Natasha outside. I had her on my chest soaking up the sun and I wasn't paying her much attention as I figured she was just behaving like Bruce just had been... when I looked down at her I noticed that her beard was all black her mouth was open in a defensive type pose. I was able to calm her down by petting her and talking to her but I have no idea what caused her to get all riled up.
My question is what causes them to black beard? Should I do anything specific to try to help her chillout when we go outside?

Dan

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She might have simply been afraid, whether from seeing something like a bird or hearing something she didn't like. If she has never been out before that would be it, or even if she has been out before she might have seen something this time to scare her.

Just see how she does next time and watch that she doesn't fly off your chest. :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
My boy Richter is the only one that didn't freak out about outside time.

My girls have both been very afraid at first, puffing, mouth agape, etc.
With frequency she may settle down, she may never, also.

Example...
89300-7032325417.jpg

Dragonsandherps

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! She goes outside with me at least 4 times a week if not every day. I didnt think about her hearing or seeing a bird. I am thinking about building a screened in outdoor cage for them to use separately. Where is the best place to buy harnesses? How do you measure for that?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Harnesses are generally 1 size fits all as they can be tightened with a cord stop
https://www.etsy.com/listing/399415489/reptile-leash-adjustable-leash-harness?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-pet_supplies-pet_collars_and_leashes-pet_leashes&utm_custom1=07d9bd27-9a93-4020-832e-6db11546c0c3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5NOZ5-XP1QIVAwVpCh2_tQ6UEAQYBCABEgLvxvD_BwE

I use one of these, displayed on my girl Simon
89300-9092094288.jpg

I also have an outdoor tent for them to bask safely
89300-2648885865.jpg
89300-3362473399.jpg

I have 2 tents, 1 for each dragon to bask alone.
I plan to give them more in the tent to interact with

Dragonsandherps

Original Poster
Those harnesses don't bother them? I worried about the skinny by nylon type bothering their arms. I am just so happy we rescued Bruce and Natasha...they are like little dogs. I just adore his personality...she, on the other hand is only super amazing with Cambrie my daughter. Shes good for everyone but her and Cam have a special bond.
When i separated them, they both stopped eating anything for like 2 days. I swear they are really close and miss one another.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
That's honestly why many people revert to putting them back together, but honestly it's just the change that messed with them a little. Whether a good change or bad, they will react in some way, in this case lack of appetite. They are much better on their own :D and I'm very glad you have them in your life.

I honestly don't use the leash often. I either hold them, use the tent, or let them run free while supervising closely.
When I did use the leash, I never saw it snag scales or anything, and they seemed relatively relaxed in it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Please keep the dragons and the cat away from each other, it only takes a second for a cat to attack the dragon to inflict a lethal penetration wound from it's fangs or claws, and while the injury might appear minor , if it has broken the skin and penetrated the tissues , the nasty bacteria & viruses on the claws and fangs and in the cat's saliva are lethal to a reptile ( and it inevitably ends very badly because a very drug resistant systemic infection sets in and kills the reptile ).

My advise is :
>> lock the cat in another area of the house when dragons are out,
>> and NEVER ALLOW the cat to have access to the room where their vivs are located ,
>> and if the vivs have mesh lids replace the mesh lids with cat proof solid (heavy) timber (plywood) lids (cats are very capable of breaking into vivs with mesh lids and only need to tear open enough mesh to get a arm in to be able to snag a lizard with a claw and drag it out to torture it mercilessly .

All cats will do this , they do it because it is fun to them and they enjoy it.

Cats and beardies can NEVER be friends PERIOD , NO IFS NO BUTS. Allowing them to interact IS A RECIPY FOR A DESASTER and will end in tears and badly for the dragon.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Dragonsandherps":v3547jk9 said:
Hi everyone... I have separated Bruce and Natasha into separate 55 gal aquariums. I am still waiting on my replacement bulb for my reptisun 10.0 so I have been taking them outside separately for at least an hour a day. Yesterday when I took Bruce out, he just chilled out with me in the lawn chair I was sitting in. When I decided to take him in I sanitized my hands and took Natasha outside. I had her on my chest soaking up the sun and I wasn't paying her much attention as I figured she was just behaving like Bruce just had been... when I looked down at her I noticed that her beard was all black her mouth was open in a defensive type pose. I was able to calm her down by petting her and talking to her but I have no idea what caused her to get all riled up.
My question is what causes them to black beard? Should I do anything specific to try to help her chillout when we go outside?
<<< lock the cat away in the laundry or bathroom when beardie is out of it's viv and outside . Even if you don't get it that cats are predators , the lizards do , they are scared of the cat if it's around where they can see it.

Dan

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
The OP said nothing about a cat. Anything involving a cat was me, and it was simply in the photos.

This has already been discussed regarding my cat, and I will again state that I understand you are looking out for my dragons, but I again inform you MY cat is harmless and I will continue to trust my pet situation. I do not need someone on a forum who does not fully understand my "pet family" lashing out at me on several different topics, especially when the topic is not focused on cats.
The OP was simply talking about outside time, no where ever did they state a cat was involved.

Dragonsandherps

Original Poster
I never said anything about a cat in my post. I don't own a cat. The only other pets I have other than dragons is tree frogs, a betta and saltwater fish/coral. I wont be letting a cat around my beardies. Thanks for looking out for my babies though.
However, I didn't get an answer... does anyone know what it means when their beard turns black? If not no problem, just wondering.

Dan
kingofnobbys":udq1t3o5 said:
Please keep the dragons and the cat away from each other, it only takes a second for a cat to attack the dragon to inflict a lethal penetration wound from it's fangs or claws, and while the injury might appear minor , if it has broken the skin and penetrated the tissues , the nasty bacteria & viruses on the claws and fangs and in the cat's saliva are lethal to a reptile ( and it inevitably ends very badly because a very drug resistant systemic infection sets in and kills the reptile ).

My advise is :
>> lock the cat in another area of the house when dragons are out,
>> and NEVER ALLOW the cat to have access to the room where their vivs are located ,
>> and if the vivs have mesh lids replace the mesh lids with cat proof solid (heavy) timber (plywood) lids (cats are very capable of breaking into vivs with mesh lids and only need to tear open enough mesh to get a arm in to be able to snag a lizard with a claw and drag it out to torture it mercilessly .

All cats will do this , they do it because it is fun to them and they enjoy it.

Cats and beardies can NEVER be friends PERIOD , NO IFS NO BUTS. Allowing them to interact IS A RECIPY FOR A DESASTER and will end in tears and badly for the dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom