Outdoor enclosures -- who has them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, BD.org! It's getting warm here (right now it's about 85 outside), and I was just out cleaning a roach tub and thinking about how much Budo would love a summer home. So I think I'm going to build a somewhat large, secure outdoor enclosure. Even when it's warm like today, nights will get down to 40*, so Budo will come inside during the evenings. He will probably only be outside for three or four hours every afternoon.

We have five neighborhood cats (all of whom are pretty chill--my baby Ira has even met Budo before, I don't think they'll be a problem, but then again they are outdoor cats so I don't want to take any chances), hawks, raccoons, skunks, owls, coyotes, and, worst of all, small children (i.e. it will have high sides so that it doesn't get trampled accidentally). :p During the day, I think the cats and hawks will be the only problems. But anyways, the enclosure needs a secure top (chicken wire, I'm thinking).

Does anybody have outdoor enclosures? Any tips for me? Also, should I wash down any rocks and driftwood I put in the enclosure? I know that's silly, to wash things outside. Any plants I should watch out for? Would his enclosure be better off in the grass (we have plenty of dandelions! :D) or in the sand/dirt? We have a ton of fruit trees and such, but no pesticides.

EDIT: we also have a section of our yard with the playground-style wood chips. I doubt this would be preferable over grass or sand, but I guess it's still an option...?

pudden318

Sub-Adult Member
ooo058.jpg

ooo060.jpg

ooo059.jpg

this what i use for an outdoor enclosure its a ferret cage. but if you build your own you want to use something a lil smaller then chicken wire and also do not put it on the ground at all all kinds of insects can bite your berdie. best to keep them off the ground and whatever wood and things you use does still need to be cleaned :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Renee, those are amazing cages! I'm sure I could find something along those lines on Craigslist... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom