Out of Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seacow

Hi there,
I'm a little worried about Dennis. About six weeks ago he settled down into his first brumation. He's over two years old and was an unwanted pet that we took in. When we got him he was a little small for his age but he grew really quickly in the first few months. The vet said that this was probably the first year he had enough physical condition to brumate properly. So for the first month we settled his new brumation schedule. Then, two weeks ago, he comes out of his hide and starts basking again and goes back to his usual behaviour (pacing the viv when he wants out time, interior decorating with his salad etc) BUT he's still not taking food and now I'm worried. He's eating nothing apart from a cricket or two every couple of days. The only thing thats changed is that two weeks ago (about two days before he woke) we took in another rescue beardie. A female about 18 months old. They're in seperate enclosures and can't see each other from their respective vivs... But Dennis may have seen her on his way for a bath or something...I dunno. Could the presence of a female have pulled him out of brumation? It sounds bit farfetched but it's the only thing I can think of. And how do I get him to start eating again? ANY theorys or help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sarah

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sarah,

Well, sometimes weather changes or time changes can affect their brumation cycles. Is he losing weight that you have noticed? If he appears to be losing weight or seems dehydrated you should try to give some oral fluids or some babyfood until he regains his weight.
If his weight is stable, then, he is probably just slown down to the point to where he is not hungry at the moment. Sometimes they tend to come out from time to time, just to bask & get some sun.
Most likely, he will probably go back in for brumation. How much does he weigh & does he have adequate fat pad storage? Maybe you could post a picture of him for me.

Tracie

Seacow

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie,
I have noticed he's lost some weight, I've just come in from work and he's eaten some of the veggies I left this morning. He's bathed every second or third day and will drink in the bath. His fat pads look good, not sunken in. Generally speaking he's in great form, really alert and active, a nice colour (his "happy" colour!), looking for out-time when he sees me...it's just he's eating hardly any live feeders. Not even a waxy...and for Dennis that is VERY strange. Anyway, heres some pictures I'm just after taking:

DSCN1940.jpg

DSCN1939-1.jpg

DSCN1941.jpg

DSCN1945.jpg

Let me know what you think. In the meantime I'll try some babyfood.
Thanks again,
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom