Our New Massive Enclosures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Hey everyone! So as our family of beardies is growing quite quickly, my bf is building basically 4 4x2x2 enclosures stacked on top of each other! Here's a pic of it so far....it should be finished, well mostly, by tonight!
DSC01801.jpg

One of the enclosures will have 13 hatchlings in it so we'll make 2 separate basking areas. I'm thinking we'll probably have to get stronger bulbs too for them now though since the light will be farther than what is in their 20gallon tank atm. The other two will be for my male Yogi and my female Daisy!

Each enclosure will have a 36" reptisun 10.0 across the centre (we've only got 3 right now which is why we're putting all babies together, plus I thought the enclosures might be a little too big for just a few babies) and tiles for the floor, yay no more sand!!! My babies aren't on sand don't worry...lol

Oh, we noticed that the plexi-glass we bought isn't exactly transparent after we took off the protective plastic coating, will this be a problem? They will be in a slightly more high traffic area so I'm thinking maybe that will be good, less distractions maybe?

Any tips, ideas or suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I need someone's opinion! With the plexi-glass not being transparent, do you think my beardies are going to feel nice and secure, or stressed out and feel like they're trapped in a big box? :?

Also, do the reptisuns look like they're too far away? (the white fixtures in the 2 middle compartments) I think for the babies it definitely is...I'll measure the distance and take pics of the setup once I turn the lights on!
EDIT- NVM I am apparently no good at estimating distances...lol In all tanks they are never more than 16" away, and never closer than about 5" :)

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here it is so far! Still far from done. The lil babies are acrobats and can basically climb up the wood so we're going to find some kind of background that they can't climb...lol Also getting some smaller wattage bulbs for Yogi and Daisy because it is too hot in there for them now that it's more insulated

Daisy's:
DSC01804.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

Yogi's:
DSC01805.jpg

We need to get a different fixture for the light too...
DSC01806.jpg

Babies:
DSC01807.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

Outside:
DSC01809.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know my guys love to be able to look out of their glass tanks & see what's going on, so I'd say you'd want to get clear plexiglass, as I think they will feel left out. Can you take it back? Or use it for something else? Beardies really do like to see everything that's going on around them, plus you're going to want to be able to glance in & keep an eye on all the babies. Just my opinion, I've never made a viv, my guys are mostly in 40 gallon breeders. My biggest beardie, Rubio, he's 22" long & at last weight in was 748g, but he was 816 last fall, he's just not eating alot right now. He's in a 75 gallon tank.
I have 5 males in all, plus a golden gecko. Yes, they run my house (a 1 bedroom apt) as you can well imagine!

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Do you think it's okay how it is now? The more recent pics have clear plexiglass because we couldn't stand the translucent stuff, and neither could our beardies. We have a few extra pieces we didn't use which we may try to return, if we can find the receipt lol but the other stuff is all scratched up from them so can't be returned. Your beardies are adorable btw :) I've also been thinking of getting a gecko, but I've heard they hate being held/handled

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Leopard geckos & cresties are easier to handle. I've never been able to hardly touch Rocco, he's still wild after 4 years! They're not the cuddlers that beardies are. I love the enclosures & glad you got the clear plexiglass, much better for your dragons. As long as they have ample ventilation, they'll do great in your "condo"! :D :D And it's so great that you have the reptisun not only inside but all along the enclosure, so that will be great for all the dragons, especially your new little guy, he'll start growing, you'll see, he'll be big in no time!

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I really like leopard geckos so that's good to know! Thanks :) I'd prefer more ventilation, so we bought more vents to put along the front left side as well (there are vents on the left side already, just not on the front), and we're thinking of drilling tiny holes in the plexi-glass, maybe just the top half of it? It was supposed to be done last night but my bf had to work really late unfortunately, so hopefully done by tonight! Then we may put a fan down here on low to create some air flow, since they are in our basement. Yeah I really love the reptisuns, totally fixed Daisy's MBD and is causing my babies to grow like weeds! lol So I really hope it does the same for our new guy, Blaze :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Putting holes in the plexi glass along the top is a great idea. You come up with the best ideas on how to take care of your crew. I'll be glad to see the result. Wonder how Monkey's going to find the new enclosure & if he'll find other places to climb :lol:

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh I'm sure he will...lol We need to get some kind of background soon because they keep climbing up the wood! They don't get very far up, but it's kinda funny you see one guy run up the wall then a bunch will look up at him, next thing you know, 2 or 3 more book it up the wall next to him, then they all jump down! Nut jobs...lol BUT I'm thinking of moving the UVB more into the centre of the enclosure because check this out...
DSC01832.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

They climb right up that screen covering the vents ^^ and get up right by the UVB, prob within 2 inches and just chill up there. They know how to get down so I'm not too worried about that, but I'm assuming it isn't great for them to be THAT close to the reptisun 10.0.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Actually I just measured it, and they are about 5 inches away from the reptisun (blueish looking bulb), should I still move it?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No really, 5" is fine, as there is no heat, so they won't get burned. They can't get enough UVB at this point, but you may want to move it down when they get bigger, as they won't be able to climb up when they're fatter, they'll be too heavy. So I'd say leave it until then, they still need exercise!

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Updates!!
Bottom (Blaze's home):
DSC02031.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

Second from bottom (Babies' home):
DSC02033.jpg

DSC02034.jpg

Second from top (Daisy's home):
DSC02036.jpg

DSC02035.jpg

Top (Yogi's home):
DSC02038.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

Separate enclosure with the bigger babies:
DSC02039.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

Now we just need some backgrounds, cut some tiles for the front and some dig boxes would be nice!

tennyis

I wouldn't have any exposed wood it will get wet and rot, also that chip board is awful for slivers. Other that it looks awesome. Very well built its going to last forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom