Open Mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
No its called gaping and its how beardies regulate their body temperature- kind of like how we sweat. Is he doing this at his basking spot or at the cooler end? What are your temps as he may be a bit hot if he's gaping constantly?

broozersfam

Original Poster
Ok so it's something new i learned! LOL Ahhh the adventures of being a new Beardie owner. He does it in the basking light mostly. The temps have been so cold at night here in Maryland that we had to put a piece of cardboard over top of the screen on top of his viv to keep in the warmth. This evening i felt it was too warm in there so i removed the cardboard. The temp inside on the warm side was 110 degrees with a 50% humidity. We just switched him over to a new viv so i can put branches and shade plants for him. He does have a hide but his big ole butt won't fit in it anymore. I tried taking it out and BOY DID HE POUT!! So i put it back in as his as we put it "lounge lizard" spot! Thank you for clearing this mystery up for us.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
broozersfam":3kefgo0d said:
Ok so it's something new i learned! LOL Ahhh the adventures of being a new Beardie owner. He does it in the basking light mostly. The temps have been so cold at night here in Maryland that we had to put a piece of cardboard over top of the screen on top of his viv to keep in the warmth. This evening i felt it was too warm in there so i removed the cardboard. The temp inside on the warm side was 110 degrees with a 50% humidity. We just switched him over to a new viv so i can put branches and shade plants for him. quote]

I was constantly worrying about something when i first got my beardie- this site has been really helpful. At night i use a ceramic heater linked to a thermostat so that it comes on if temps drop below 70- at night temps shouldn't drop below 60F- your daytime temps of 110 are good but humidity shouldn't be above 40%- to lower this, if you are misting him make sure to mist outside the viv. :D

He does have a hide but his big ole butt won't fit in it anymore. I tried taking it out and BOY DID HE POUT!! So i put it back in as his as we put it "lounge lizard" spot! Thank you for clearing this mystery up for us.[/

haha aw bless him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom