Onyx is still failing to thrive :(

Kyomuno

Beardie name(s)
Osiris
So we have had 3 vet visits for onyx where she has had x-rays and full exams with no light being shed on what is causing her problems. The official diagnosis as of Friday's visit is "failure to thrive". Onyx has 0 energy and has to be syringe fed (critical care w/ repaid and calcium with probiotic as directed by the vet). The vet said at this last visit thaylt there is little more we can do at this point and to just keep her comfortable and keep pushing the critical care mix all while hoping for the best, but being prepared for the worst. She is so thin and the biggest reason for Friday's visit was concerns over her tail. 8 days ago she began shedding for the first time since we got her (which was in march) and there was a break in the shedding on her tail where it looked like her tail had been injured (which would be strange since she barely moves more than 3 inches from where I set her after feedings). The tail is fine, but her condition is worsening. I know it is a long shot, but is there anything you all could think of that we could try to improve her condition? She has not really grown at all in 3 months time and I am struggling to come to terms with the possibility of her not making it :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would try blending actual bugs into the slurry, get some real protein in her. Make sure she is hydrated though, if not it could be hard on her liver and kidneys.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So we have had 3 vet visits for onyx where she has had x-rays and full exams with no light being shed on what is causing her problems. The official diagnosis as of Friday's visit is "failure to thrive". Onyx has 0 energy and has to be syringe fed (critical care w/ repaid and calcium with probiotic as directed by the vet). The vet said at this last visit thaylt there is little more we can do at this point and to just keep her comfortable and keep pushing the critical care mix all while hoping for the best, but being prepared for the worst. She is so thin and the biggest reason for Friday's visit was concerns over her tail. 8 days ago she began shedding for the first time since we got her (which was in march) and there was a break in the shedding on her tail where it looked like her tail had been injured (which would be strange since she barely moves more than 3 inches from where I set her after feedings). The tail is fine, but her condition is worsening. I know it is a long shot, but is there anything you all could think of that we could try to improve her condition? She has not really grown at all in 3 months time and I am struggling to come to terms with the possibility of her not making it :(
Did we go over your surface basking temps-- and uvb?

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Yes, I had help from a few members here with ensuring she had the proper bask, uva/uvb set up. My other 2 beardies from her clutch are doing very well(aside from leonidas's nose issue), but she is acting much like her clutchmate Osiris (r.i.p.). The vet suggested possible inbreeding or genetic issues with the parents :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes, I had help from a few members here with ensuring she had the proper bask, uva/uvb set up. My other 2 beardies from her clutch are doing very well(aside from leonidas's nose issue), but she is acting much like her clutchmate Osiris (r.i.p.). The vet suggested possible inbreeding or genetic issues with the parents :(
Ok I am sorry about her-- do you have the x-rays you can post a long w/ any other results? If so we have Tracie look at them

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
I do not, but I am taking my savannah monitor in on friday so I will request a copy of her x-rays then.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
So sorry about your beardie! I remember giving a shot at rescuing Warrior and he survived his conditions until they came back and he didnt make it :( He lasted for almost a year. prayers out to your beardie.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
So sorry about your beardie! I remember giving a shot at rescuing Warrior and he survived his conditions until they came back and he didnt make it :( He lasted for almost a year. prayers out to your beardie.
That is exactly what happened with onyx! She was so underweight when we got her and she never really moved. We got her eating and she had energy, but now we are almost back to where we started. Her brother Leonidas went through a phase where he wouldn't eat and was very underweight, but he pulled through so I was hoping onyx would do the same. She has such a unique personality and is different from all my other beardies 😞 this picture was taken tonight after we fed her. She is 3 months old and is only 1/8" longer than she was when I got her 😞

Attachments

• 20230612_220458.jpg
    20230612_220458.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 76

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
That is so small. I rescued my warrior when he was 6 months old and he was 5 inches and 55 grams and Hazel when she was 3 months old and was 3 inches long and weighed 50 grams. both my beardies were rescues and only one survived. my Hazel was my first rescue and she is now gonna be two in Novemeber!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, your poor little one, that is pretty small.
Definitely try blending up some insects for him, along with the blended greens. Are you also adding
in some squash & sweet potato for starches also?
Also use a small amount of blackstrap molasses in with his food for calories as well as nutrients &
minerals for him.
Are you keeping him around 75-80F at night, to help boost his immune system?

Tracie

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Onyx SEEMS to have a little more energy today.
Hello,

Wow, your poor little one, that is pretty small.
Definitely try blending up some insects for him, along with the blended greens. Are you also adding
in some squash & sweet potato for starches also?
Also use a small amount of blackstrap molasses in with his food for calories as well as nutrients &
minerals for him.
Are you keeping him around 75-80F at night, to help boost his immune system?

Tracie
I have been adding sweet potatoes, insects and mustard greens/turnip greens. I will have to get some molasses after work. Night temp is a steady 81f.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
We are all pulling for Onyx, please keep us posted 🙂

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Today was a good day with little onyx. She ate more than she has in the last few weeks. This little one is very clingy and insists on being held. All day she has been coming to the side of the cage that faces me and hits her head against the glass and glass surfs until I pick her up lol. She might be a LITTLE spoiled🤣😂🤣

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom