only eats squash

Status
Not open for further replies.
My adult beardie that I got last Thursday only eats butter nut squash. He will eat some squash but wont touch greens. I got him from a place that told me to feed him romain lettuce. I got him collard greens and squash but he will not touch the greens.

He likes superworms and silkworms. I think they only fed him crickets. Poor thing is being spoiled and doesn't know what to do with himself lol.

What greens do you suggest? Or is it ok to just give him the squash?

His basking temp is 102, he has the 10.0 UVB bulb. He is 20" long and is quite active.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
I have the same issue with mine.
Please don't feed him Romaine. It has little to no nutritional value and gives them loose stools.
Check out this link for all the best greens to give them:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

As far as the butternut squash, you can try pureeing it with a little water in the blender and toss his greens in it. But if he still doesn't eat, you may need to give some tough love and stop feeding him butternut squash. That's what I had to do, and after a few months, I reintroduced it. He was good for a while, and ate everything I gave him, but he's slowly gone back to eating just butternut and nothing else.
Butternut squash is a staple food, so it's very good for Beardies, but if it's the only thing he eats, you need to take it away from him. Beardies need variety in their diet!

SciencePam

Original Poster
I haven't fed him any romain lettuce since I got him because I read this forums before I bought him :)

I did notice loose stools for the first couple of days, I guess he was getting it out of his system. The past 2 days they were firmer more like soil. Is that normal?

I'll try your suggestions. I honestly dont think he knows anything other than romain thats why he doesn't want wha Im giving him. I suppose if your used to getting junk food all your life and someone gives you lobster and filet minion you might not like it at first either.

w0554096

Juvie Member
Hello,
One of my beardies is the same way. She was raised on spring greens, and didn't know what to do with proper greens. After awhile she started eating them, but as soon as I started adding the butternut squash that was it for the greens. She will just pick the squash off the top. She doesn't exactly refuse to eat the greens, she just prefers yummy squash and fills up on that insead.
I started mixing the squash in the greens instead of just sprinkling it on top, and that's solved it for me. I grate my squash with a cheese grater, so they're thin pieces that adhere really well to the greens. I think she still tried to pick the squash out, but since they're attached to the greens...:D
The only think that sucks by mixed it is that the squash will dry onto the bottom of the bowl, and then the bowl needs a good while to soak before the squash will come off. I fixed that by having alternate bowls, so she's always got a clean one.

Anyways, good luck.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Hi. Mine hated butternut squash for the longest time and disliked many things. You can say, she's spoiled rotten all right. I've had to hide variety in her greens without her noticing. (I've fed her the bearded dragon pellets and hiding those. She won't touch them much.) So I've added some butternut squash to her salads. One day, she ate them without a problem. The next day, she picked through the butternut squash and ate her turnip greens. The day after that, she refused her greens, strawberry, butternut squash, and banana variety. She picked through until she got to her greens.

I've got a loving spoiled baby here. :) She loves cuddles and superworms. And I tried to wean her off butternut squash baby food to real butternut squash. It worked, but she's like brick wall. :)

SciencePam

Original Poster
He finally started munching on greens! He seems to really like curly endive and its agreen food on beautiful dragons. I make him a salad of butternut squash and curly endive each day. He finally ate the entire bowl yesterday! He also seems to like grapes so I gave them a couple of those yesterday too.

He hates collard greens, mustard greens, arugula, but likes endive. He must be Greek like his mom (Greeks love endive lol).

He likes superworms and silkworms but not hornowrms. Theres a shop near me that sells all kinds of feeders and they gave me some free samples to get a sense of what he likes. Like I said earlier I think he's only ever had (prior to me owning him) romain, carrots, and crickets. So now he's being spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom