One meal a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Hello all,
My female dragon is about 6 months old now and I've always struggled getting her to eat her veggies. She will nibble on them once in awhile but I have been mainly getting by with gutloading her insects to provide nutrition to her this way. I've noticed if I do not feed her first round of insects to her she will usually eat much more of her salad. So here's my question, at this age can I begin giving just 1 insect meal a day for supper to encourage her to eat her veggies earlier in the day? I know the general rule is to give 2 protein meals a day while they are growing but it's also good to get them to eat their salads. She's about 17 1/2 inches and 375 grams. Do you guys think at this age/size it would be wise to encourage her to eat more salad or to continue allowing her to nibble on that and keep offering the 2 protein meals a day?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's a good size but at only 6 months old I'd stick with the two bug meals for now. She probably has a couple of more inches and a couple hundred grams to go overall but maybe try the one meal per day at around 10 months and reduce from there over the next 6 months or so.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you cooper. I'll stick with two bug meals a day and maybe just wait as long as possible before giving the first meal and see if this will encourage her to eat her veggies. Once she's 10months I'll try out one meal a day and see how she does

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Or perhaps you could compromise and do a second feeding every other day and see how that goes. Just monitor her weight regularly and make sure it's still trending upward.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's a good idea. We will try that out and monitor her very closely. Thank you for the pointers I appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom