Ok Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so here is my situation, I am a 23 yr old soon to be college graduate. My roommate last year had a dog and I felt like i took care of it way more then he did. This year I am living with different people and one is allergic to everything. SO instead of the rest of the house getting a dog like we wanted because she was allergic, I was like lets have a reptile more of my pet but I have had anoles in the past and my best friend from high school has recently gotten a beardie as well. SO i got a 40 gallon long for cheap off criagslist and bought the lights and stuff from petsmart soon learning that those werent good. go the temps right and finally got food he likes to eat and i feel like i have less and less money because he eats more then i drink haha. how ever i have had him since august of 2009 and been upgrading his tank until december with what i have read and seen to be the best. but i feel the better iget the more he wants to get away. he has tired climbnign out several times he had stopped for a while but he got out yestrerday n almost died. i feel like he is more of my friend rather then a pet and i feel liek the more itry the less he likes me. so im tyring to make things work and him like me so if any one has any help on stubborn beardies please let me know. i give him everythign i feel he wants and he is bever happy so any suggestions are taken seriously.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't quite understand why you think he is unhappy or doesn't like you. Is it because he is trying to get out of his cage? Beardies like to have a good run around the house and adults are entering breeding season which can make them act crazy.
I say give him more roam time and make sure there is a secure lid on his cage.

spikerocks

Juvie Member
My beardies r very spoiled but that doesn't stop them from trying to jump out of my arms to explore. Beardies r extremely curious creatures n it doesn't mean he doesn't like u but that he's alert n aware of the world around him n he wants to check it out. There r lots of people on this forum who have escape artist beardies!

Im sure he luvs u but he's curious. Try some snuggle time before lites out. My beardies lites go off at 830pm so at 730 my baby likes to lay on my chest n b covered by his blankie. He'll rest/sleep on my chest until I put him back at 830. BTW, if he's not ready to snuggle, he will run off my chest!

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
As above post mentioned it is perfectly normal for them to go bonkers around breeding season and not unusual for them to want out of their cage to explore all year long. Unless he is trying to bite you or hide when you want to hold him then I wouldn't think that he is liking you less. It is really important to have a secure cage as he will probably never stop attempting to escape when you are not looking no matter how good you make things for him. My beardie and Tegu both beg to be let out of their vivs sometimes several times a day for free roam time and they are both in 2'x4'x2' vivs.
If you can give him a safe place to roam around a little then you may want to try doing this when you have time to supervise his expeditions around the house. Beardies are very curious and like to check things out. But beware to keep a close eye because they are also really good at finding a nice dark place to hide and then take a nap, completely oblivious to the fact that we are freaking out trying to find them.
Also, as to him eating you out of house and home. If you are buying his food at the pet store it will be many times more expensive than finding an online supplier like mulberry farms or ghan's for your live feeders. I buy 1,000 super worms at a time from mulberry that last me for months for only $30 including shipping. And if you have really understanding room mates you could try dubias from theroachguy.com (he has a posting on the for sale forum) They are more expensive than the supers, but very easy to take care of and will breed easily and soon you can have your own colony and be free from bug buying and have more money for beer! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom