ok, maybe brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggs

Quick question. So my little buddy has been under his substrate for a couple days now with little movement. Is this brumation? He seemshealthy and loves his crickets and greens. He's about 12 inches..maybe a little more. I'm still unsure on his age. I got him in February when he was tiny. I was told beardies stay small for the first year, is this true. Any way here's a picture I took a couple weeks ago.. Not a very good one but maybe it will tell his age a little better

IMG_20130715_195959_zps2c4484ea.jpg

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Can you get a real measurement of him from snout to tip of the tail? He looks like he's more than 12 inches to me - I'd say he's somewhere around 8 or 9 months of age (based on when you got him in February and the picture of when you first got him). He seems a little bit young for brumation but I suppose it's possible - my bearded dragon is on his way down for the 'winter' also.

What type of UVB light do you use?
How do you measure your temps?
Have you had a fecal test done for him yet?

jiggs

Original Poster
I will get a measurement tomorrow because his lights are about to go out. I believe I have a exo Terra uvb 120, and his basking is 75/100 can't remember. I have a ceramic heat source that stays on constantly. I've been using reptile carpet since I got him, but changed recently to just paper towels( several layers). I have thermometers strips on the onside of his dwelling at the moment. His basking area is a steady 100/95 always. Hope this helps..I feel like I'm doing something wrong!

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Alright, there are a lot of things that you are doing right :) So that's a start - but there are a couple of things that you should work on to get everything perfect :p

jiggs":1bmva7yg said:
I believe I have a exo Terra uvb 120

We don't recommend the ExoTerra ReptiGlo bulbs, you should get a ZooMed ReptiSUN 10 TUBE. It should run roughly 2/3 the length of the tank and be below the screen, screen tends to filter a lot of the UVB out.

I have a ceramic heat source that stays on constantly.

If your house doesn't drop below 68 at night you dont need to provide any additional heat over night, the cool down is part of their day/night cycle :)

I have thermometers strips on the onside of his dwelling at the moment. His basking area is a steady 100/95 always.

Those things are really inaccurate - you should get a digital thermometer with probe - accurite makes one that you can get at walmart for around 12 dollars. Put the probe at the basking spot and the whole unit at the cool spot (The 'outdoor' temp will be basking, 'indoor' temp will be cool)

Good work with the substrate - hang in there :)

Also, can you snap a picture of your setup?

jiggs

Original Poster
I will be picking those things up a.s.a.p. thanks for the info! I still haven't got an accurate measurement..I dont know how I should approach it. He's very hand friendly.. Should I just pick him up or measure where he lays. He's still grogy and not moving much. He does open his eyes when I look at him through the side of tank. Oh, and still under paper towels. Surly he's not stuck! Lol. One more thing, if it is brumation, is a care sheet on the forum anywhere for that.. Thx again

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
I have a feeling that it is because of your lighting, so if you get that ASAP we should know in a day or two. I measure mine by laying them flat on a table and straightening them out and measuring with a ruler (Just lay the ruler next to him).

If it ends up being brumation there is an article here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom