Ok.... final questions on lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I have gotten so confused with the lighting/heating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 60 watt CHE with a lamp for it. I am going to get the ReptiSun 10.0. What wattage for the ReptiSun? What other bulb do I need (link please!)?

Sorry I have been posting so much; I thought I had everything figured out, but I guess I don't. Grrrrrr, I only want everything to be perfect!

therese30

It took me a good few weeks to get it right! Don't get too much information from the large pet stores. The information that they gave me was somewhat right but mostly wrong. I have learned so much from this site. I'm sure I have it right now and my dragons are very happy and healthy.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
It doesn't give off any heat. You are making a 4 ft. wide enclosure, right? I would go with the 36" tube. You can get a fixture for it at the hardware store; there is no need to buy a fancy one from the pet store. Just check to make sure it's already wired.

You are going to have a basking light and a CHE right? This may be enough heat. Trial and error will be the only way to be sure. You can use a higher wattage basking bulb if you need more heat, and if you really need to, you can add another basking-type bulb. But, you can use a regular household bulb for this. You don't need to spend a crap load on 'basking bulbs' from the pet store. As long as they are white light..

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":b1ae7 said:
It doesn't give off any heat. You are making a 4 ft. wide enclosure, right? I would go with the 36" tube. You can get a fixture for it at the hardware store; there is no need to buy a fancy one from the pet store. Just check to make sure it's already wired.

You are going to have a basking light and a CHE right? This may be enough heat. Trial and error will be the only way to be sure. You can use a higher wattage basking bulb if you need more heat, and if you really need to, you can add another basking-type bulb. But, you can use a regular household bulb for this. You don't need to spend a crap load on 'basking bulbs' from the pet store. As long as they are white light..

Sounds good. I got another idea... Would it work if I had the 60 watt CHE, the 36" ReptiSun 10.0, and a 50 watt regular heat bulb?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I would bet that you need a higher W for your heat bulb. But, when you say heat bulb, what exactly do you mean?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":95ce5 said:
I would bet that you need a higher W for your heat bulb. But, when you say heat bulb, what exactly do you mean?

Sorry, but I have no idea. I used it as a summer bulb for my Ball Python and I don't have the box. On the bulb it says
"ZooMed
Item #HB-50
50 Watt
120 volt"
I will hook everything up a few weeks before I get him and then I'll see if I need a higher wattage.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
herpfreak":4c70d said:
NegativeCreep":4c70d said:

Sorry, but I have no idea. I used it as a summer bulb for my Ball Python and I don't have the box. On the bulb it says
"ZooMed
Item #HB-50
50 Watt
120 volt"
I will hook everything up a few weeks before I get him and then I'll see if I need a higher wattage.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/uva-uvb-bulbs/504675/zoo-med-repti-halogen-heat-lamp.html
Cool, this is what you have.
It is just fine for you to use as a heat/basking bulb. You can use one of these or you can use a household bulb or even a halogen bulb for heat/basking. What I would suggest, is get a fixture that is rated for higher wattage so you can safely use a higher wattage bulb in it later, if needed.
Like this one..
http://www.petmountain.com/product/light-fixtures/509765/newtek-chrome-reflector-10-250-watt-.html
Just be sure that it has a ceramic or porcelain socket. They are heat resistant. You can get something like this as the hardware store, just be certain it is ceramic/porcelain. I would go as high as 250w rating, just in case...

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":507ad said:
herpfreak":507ad said:
NegativeCreep":507ad said:

"ZooMed
Item #HB-50
50 Watt
120 volt"

http://www.petmountain.com/product/uva-uvb-bulbs/504675/zoo-med-repti-halogen-heat-lamp.html
It is just fine for you to use as a heat/basking bulb. You can use one of these or you can use a household bulb or even a halogen bulb for heat/basking. What I would suggest, is get a fixture that is rated for higher wattage so you can safely use a higher wattage bulb in it later, if needed.
Like this one..
http://www.petmountain.com/product/light-fixtures/509765/newtek-chrome-reflector-10-250-watt-.html
Just be sure that it has a ceramic or porcelain socket. They are heat resistant. You can get something like this as the hardware store, just be certain it is ceramic/porcelain. I would go as high as 250w rating, just in case...

Yes, that is the bulb I have, and I have those lamps too; it's not the same brand, but it looks the same and has a porcelain socket.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":26596 said:
herpfreak":26596 said:
NegativeCreep":26596 said:

"ZooMed
Item #HB-50
50 Watt
120 volt"

Like this one..

Yes, that is the bulb I have, and I have those lamps too; it's not the same brand, but it looks the same and has a porcelain socket.

I believe I have everything straightened out!! Thank you all SO much for the help, I wouldn't have gotten everything right without you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom