Oh NO! I have not been doing this right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
:( :? OH NO! I feel HORRIBLE right now.
So I have a 3rd beardie now, he use to be mine, but long ago I gave him to a friend, in December she called me to tell me she thought I should come get him b/c her son was not being responsible and taking care of him like he should. Well, long story short, I went and got him, brought him home, he was slow moving, not eating much, etc. I gave him a bath and he went to sleep. After talking w/ the vet and reading somethings I figured he was brumating. So, I just left him alone. (It's very hard for me to tell the truth right now, after reading what I just read b/c I feel like a neglectfull person) sigh..

He has been in his cage since Dec 16, with no lights, no food, no heat.
I do go in every day and make sure he's brething and stuff, I keep him covered w/ a lil blanket.

I was just reading on brumation b/c everyday it puzzles me how he is still alive, etc. My other beardies have never done this.
The site says you should still bath them for hydration, and leave the lights on? and he needs to poop?! OMG! I have not done them things b/c I thought I would wake him and disturb his sleep. I seriously feel so bad right now.

I guess i'm wriring b/c I needed to vent to someone, and I need to know if I should take him to the vet or what kind of action I need to take from here? Right now i'll go give him a warm bath for about 20 mins, and in the morning ill give him a few worms and turn all his regular lights on. Ist his what I should do? :(( I'm so broken hearted right now! I feel awful.

I just ordered the ZooMed infared ceramic heat b/c I figured he must not be warm enough.
Both my other dragons are doing wonderful, they eat daily, bath every other, they poop daily, everything.

Anything you can tell me will be appercited, and I know, I should have done this reading sooner, I feel like a horrible mother, and just think, she called me b/c she thought her son was doing an awful job? :( :banghead:

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Oh poor fella! Stop beating yourself up first of all. You are obviously a caring owner and didn't mean any harm. Typically beardies are smart enough to stop eating before brumation so they there shouldn't be much poop. Definitely give him a a good soak though and do a thorough temp check in his viv. I set my lights on timers for 12 hour days in the winter. After you get him bathed he may or may not want to wake up just yet. If he will bask for about an hour then go ahead and offer some food.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Everyone brumates their dragon differently. I never woke mine but did keep the heat lamp on in case he woke and wanted to bask. I personally wouldn't feed him unless he stays awake for more then a day or is losing weight.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Now when you say heat, do you mean lights or just the heat?
After his bath he laid under the lights and basked. Then he went to hide under his rock, so I left the light on for a short while after and then shut it off. (He has not pooped or eaten yet)

Gail

BD.org Addict
I have a light for heat, so I was leaving the light on during the day. I suppose a ceramic heat emitter might have been better so his cage wasn't so bright but I had him wrapped up in a towel.
I left the UVB off unless he woke up and wanted to bask, which was very rare.
You should problem just leave him be so he can sleep now, they generally know what they are doing as far as brumation goes. You can pull him out once a week for a bath and to check weight if you want but I never did.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Gail":bb2f5 said:
I have a light for heat, so I was leaving the light on during the day. I suppose a ceramic heat emitter might have been better so his cage wasn't so bright but I had him wrapped up in a towel.
I left the UVB off unless he woke up and wanted to bask, which was very rare.
You should problem just leave him be so he can sleep now, they generally know what they are doing as far as brumation goes. You can pull him out once a week for a bath and to check weight if you want but I never did.

Thanks for replying. That was very helpful, and I feel much better. Seems as though maybe the forum has slowed down a bit?
Anyway, thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom