Oh No. Bath--cleaner still in it--did vet advise me right?Pl

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Okay noone laugh at this as it is not very funny. I will PM Tracie as well. Anyway, the lizard uses our bathtub as his toilet regularly.Anyway, I figured "Good the kids are outside playing in the snow, I can spray the tub with the scrubbing bubbles and let it sit while I go shovel and then rinse it when I come back in"
Sounds like a good plan right? Well, I come in to grab something and my 10 yr old (who usuallyalways asks if the bathtub is ready for him )informs me that they just gave Hermes the bath in the bathtub. (Note: I had not come in to rinse it out yet)
Needless to say I was quite concerned and called our NEW Herp Vet immediately. She asked which cleaner it was, if he drank it (he had not), and how long he was in it. The kids (I have 3 with me today) said it was no more than 1-2 minutes. The youngest said it wasn't even that long as he didnt like the bath, so they took him out.
She advised me to give him a regular bath --lukewarm water for 30 mins as that would flush out his system of any chemical that he absorbed, and that he should be fine. She said to look for a change in the skin, lack of appetitie, or lethargy.
He wasn't happy about being made to stay in the bath but he did. When he tried to escape I kept pouring the clean, warm water over his head. I kept him in for 35 minutes and then called back to confirm that I had done everything right and the vet assured me that since he was in for so little time that he should be fine and reiterated that if the appetite changes, becomes lethargic or we notice any skin changes to call he back as soon as it happens.
Does this sound about right?
Thanks for listening and not laughing.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I am hoping so too but the vet assured us that he SHOULD be fine as he was only in it for 1-2 minutes. Thanks for responding tho. I am hoping to hear back from Tracie soon

Do beardie's often use there bath as a time to use the bathroom? I though mine was weird and like to poop in his bath water. Is it the warm water that makes them comfortable?

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I hope he will be ok.

They will usually poop in the warm water. Chimera is trained to poop in his bath he never poops in his viv.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Julianne,

Yes, your vet advised you correctly.
How is he doing? As suggested, just look for any strange behavioral changes, stool changes, coloration changes, or loss of appetite & lethargic problems.
No, I did not laugh.

Tracie

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks girls! He is doing great! He had 40 crickets for breakfast so I guess he is no worse for the wear with his experience. Gaped 1x today for the 1st time in awhile (but we discovered when and why it happens :p
Ask Tracie, he has given his "grammy" enough heart attacks and gray hairs in the last 8 1/2 weeks (yes tracie we got him 8 Saturdays ago!!)
He looks like he is about to shed his head and back any day now (he did his legs and tail about 2 weeks ago). He will eat his salad if hand fed it with babyfood butternut squash, he will also eat it if we top it with the babyfood--is he allowed to have fresh butternut squash? (Is it better to cook it or give it to him raw?)
Anyway, thanks for asking but he seems to be fine. I drop off a fecal sample next tuesday to the vet (what numbers are considered no need to treat them--he had pinworms )

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Julianne,

GREAT he is doing well then & eating alot of food now.
So, he is going to shed? He must be growing really fast for you now. I am happy that he is ok & did not seem to be affected by the cleaner.
No extra gray hairs or strokes this week then? :D

Tracie

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...glad your dragon is doing OK.
As far as the fecal is concerned...It is rated from 0 - 4, with 4 being really bad. Usually it isn't necessary to medicate unless it is rated a 3 or more. If it is just worms, and not bacteria,protozoa, coccidia, etc, then you can flush them out without medication by giving him a rounded teaspoon of 100% pumpkin, then repeat it once a week for 3 weeks, then once a month (freeze the rest in an ice cube tray, then put it in a baggie to thaw as needed). My guys lick it off a teaspoon.
Good luck
Patsy

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info.Do you meaned can pumpkin or fresh? I can see him liking it as he loves the babyfood butternut squash. I need to make his salad up today yet--I forgot to give it to him yesterday. Bad grandmom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom