Odd swimming behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
My Male love's to swim but he inflates himself and then acts like a alligator by only showing his nostrils out of the water. I have cut bathing times bc he seems to just lay level with the water after about 30 seconds I pick his head up till he gets annoyed and swims again. I am afraid he will drown but he seems to just love swimming and splashing as he has a short "burst" of speed with his tail. I heard they can hold their breath for 15 mins but that is just uncomfortable for me I have this "he is drowning" type of feeling yet he is just enjoying the water. He is a notorious dunker and does it constantly and the water isn't high but he still finds a way to swim is it normal for him to put his head under the water for mins? I know I should have a rock or platform case my beardies wanna lay in/out of the water but I'm a "helicopter dad" and both are watched in till they are done with their baths

NOTE: They get separate baths due to my male being a bath time pooper regularly lol

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
If you insist on bathing your dragons it is best to do it in water that only comes as high as their elbows.

Whilst Beardies' like all reptiles, can swim they are an arid species and rarely enter water in their natural habitat.

You really don't want to be allowing your dragon to be submerging itself because if he starts swallowing water then you increase the risk of your pet devolping a respiratory infection which will end up in a vet visit and antibiotics.

There is no real reason to be regularly bathing a Beardie as the myth about them gaining hydration through the skin / vent is just that - a myth.

Under no circumstances let your dragon fully submerge for 15 minutes unless you want a dead pet!

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If you insist on bathing your dragons it is best to do it in water that only comes as high as their elbows.

Whilst Beardies' like all reptiles, can swim they are an arid species and rarely enter water in their natural habitat.

You really don't want to be allowing your dragon to be submerging itself because if he starts swallowing water then you increase the risk of your pet devolping a respiratory infection which will end up in a vet visit and antibiotics.

There is no real reason to be regularly bathing a Beardie as the myth about them gaining hydration through the skin / vent is just that - a myth.

Under no circumstances let your dragon fully submerge for 15 minutes unless you want a dead pet!
I give my male/female baths 2-3 times a week (sometimes once a week) vet said that is fine they both get water by drinking it during a bath and my male only goes to the bathroom while taking a bath. He is the only one who dunks/swims he loves it and she hates it they are watched 24/7. For him the water is about below the shoulder long as his belly is flat on the bottom no higher and for her it's very shallow she doesn't swim/dunk if she didn't drink during a bath I wouldn't even give her one honestly. If they are both constipated or shedding I'll give them a nice soak on consecutive days I have tried the misting option instead of baths but they both hate it so instead of stressing them out me and the vet talked and chose to bathe them instead. I will definitely try to lower the water a bit as long as they still drink I don't think it will be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom