oat grass safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
Is oat grass, or the type of grass sold as "cat grass" safe if it accidentally gets munched?

I'd like to grow some for the kitties, but really don't have any good windows for plants so was thinking of putting the container in Kimba's home until it grew big enough to put out for the kitties.

Just curious and thought it might be a fun way to add some live plants to his home. :)

Thanks!

Sarai

I don't know, its not even on the nutrition site. I know its ok for tortoises, but that doesn't mean its ok for beardies necessarily.

I did a quick google search about bearded dragons and oat grass and came up with nothing helpful, so I searched animals that eat oat grass and I got all these different sites about different birds and turtles, no lizards. So with that I wouldn't chance it

As far as I know oat grass is a really good indoor plant because is doesn't require too much sunlight, so it may still grow just fine without Kimba's UV light or a super sunny window

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I'm not sure what oat grasses are like. Maybe the reason they feed them to tortoises is because it has a lot of rasin (tough celulose covering) which most animals can't digest. That's just a guess. You could try and feed them to your bearded every now and then and see what happen. Look to see if there are any undigested grasses in the feces.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Paradon":1iqg4wfv said:
I'm not sure what oat grasses are like. Maybe the reason they feed them to tortoises is because it has a lot of rasin (tough celulose covering) which most animals can't digest. That's just a guess. You could try and feed them to your bearded every now and then and see what happen. Look to see if there are any undigested grasses in the feces.

Thanks. Not looking to feed them to him. Just need a place to put the planter until they grow enough. Figured a corner of his viv would be perfect. LOL! :) Will keep an eye out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom