Now he has an inflamed beard spike

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Noticed this yesterday and thought he pulled out his spike because it was all scabbed and everything was ok. Today, it became red and inflamed. I went ahead and dabbed some triple antibiotic ointment on his beard spike. It bled a little afterwards. So, I guess he scratched at it while glass dancing. Poor baby. He cannot catch a break.
He also celebrated his 9th birthday yesterday. So, he's now officially 9 years old.
I don't know how these 'things' just pop up.

Attachments

• beardespike.jpg
    beardespike.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 92

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Noticed this yesterday and thought he pulled out his spike because it was all scabbed and everything was ok. Today, it became red and inflamed. I went ahead and dabbed some triple antibiotic ointment on his beard spike. It bled a little afterwards. So, I guess he scratched at it while glass dancing. Poor baby. He cannot catch a break.
He also celebrated his 9th birthday yesterday. So, he's now officially 9 years old.
I don't know how these 'things' just pop up.
You can also use raw unfiltered honey- it will promote healing and prevent infection - no crickets in the tank please--

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Will he eat roaches? the honey will work
He will but the last time he had roaches, his front legs swelled up and he didn't want to use them. I was also noticing some 'gulping' so I have been feeding him protein from the powders I got from beardeddragon.co. I reduced his roaches due to his front legs swelling.
He let me clean and apply the honey. He was a good boy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He will but the last time he had roaches, his front legs swelled up and he didn't want to use them. I was also noticing some 'gulping' so I have been feeding him protein from the powders I got from beardeddragon.co. I reduced his roaches due to his front legs swelling.
He let me clean and apply the honey. He was a good boy.
Ok it sounds like his uric acid level went too high causing gout- roaches are known for causing gout so no more of those what about BSFL? Have you tried those? Why do you haft to wait till next month for silkworms? He needs protein of some sort -

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok it sounds like his uric acid level went too high causing gout- roaches are known for causing gout so no more of those what about BSFL? Have you tried those? Why do you haft to wait till next month for silkworms? He needs protein of some sort -
BSFL, he'll look at them and taste, and spit. He's so picky. Waiting for the refund to hit and pay day. I also have back up protein sources with BSFL in Gel form.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes. He's been eating with my help. He doesn't eat by himself. He won't put weight on his arm though and the vet doesn't know why. I have looked at his nails again and I'm convinced one of them may be the problem and the quick is close the end of the nail.
Are you using a hammock in the tank? Green one or a grass one?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Are you using a hammock in the tank? Green one or a grass one?
None of those. Fabric.
I took one of those grass ones and looked at it closely. I saw spaces where his little toes can get caught. I returned it. Those green ones never held his weight and I took that out and returned that one to the store. I've returned a lot of things to the pet store for refunds. The only thing I didn't return was a green resin basking spot that he doesn't use and that he couldn't figure out how to use it without falling over. I don't have any vines or things he can get stuck in his tank. I found his nails were getting stuck in some areas of the basking spots. I filed his nails down to where he can walk. He just won't put weight on this his foot and maybe one of the quick's close to the end of his nail and has yet to recede yet.
He had some critical care sprinkled on his greens tonight. He ate red bell pepper, yellow squash, powders, zucchini.

Earlier today, I wanted to see if he was interested in a single small roach as they aren't adults yet. He turned his head up at it. I read something about uric acid being low in small roaches. Maybe I'm wrong. He didn't want his roach and I didn't force him to eat it.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom