Nothing I can do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonism

*sigh* So my bearded dragon is refusing to eat anymore and when I try to make her eat, she just gets stressed out and spits the food right back out. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try to start getting her eat more vegetables since I feel like it was about that time and that she was also getting really chubby. This is where things started showing problems. At first, she took no interest. And then I offered her carrots which she tried and liked. For about a week, I offered her only vegetables because I knew how hard it was to start converting bearded dragons to salad. She's about 1 year & 4 months old.

This past week, she hasn't even been bothering to eat, or pooping for that matter. Its been a week and a few days now. She warms up and basks like normal, is bright and cheery, but the minute I put food in her enclosure (even worms which she LOVES) she loses interest or gets stressed out. And she loves to eat bugs. Her beard gets black and she seems to not want to do anything other than bask and sleep. And I can only think its because I tried converting her to plant matter too fast and now she doesn't want to eat anything anymore. I'm at a loss of what to do. Weight wise, she's fine. And I've been bathing her too since she seemed a tiny bit dehydrated. I also "think" she might be shedding again soon and I know that makes them moody, but thats not cause for her to just completely drop eating. I need help and advice before I just cave and bring her to the vet and see what they make her do.

Here are some pics
Sd94C6J.jpg

her setup

jUT7dMq.jpg

after a bath last night

8s7GNvJ.jpg

her "stressed" look

ufxePuy.jpg

azaK1f5.jpg

and how she looks normally (latest pictures)

Like I said, she keeps going from being bright and alert to meh I hate the world. Her temperatures are just fine. I also calcium dust every other day. I guess I should also note thats she's very small for a beardie of her age (13 inches, but not very big or 'dragon-like). Idk why @.@

Dragonism

Original Poster
Update

NKFdpJg.jpg

She's just been sitting depressed at the bottom of her tank. She was gaping for a few minutes and then lied down. She's very dark right now and just.. I don't know what to do. She's not showing enough symptoms for me to diagnose anything or help her out. She's also getting weaker. Wish it could hurry up and be tomorrow so I can see about getting her to a vet. I'm scared she's just going to fall asleep and die at this point....

Dragonism

Original Poster
She's been gaping a lot now. And her body is pretty limp when I hold or pick her up, especially her back legs. She has feeling in them, but wont move them. I think she may have a respiratory infection, but I can't hear any wheezing or anything like that. I think its too late for me to do anything now. I seriously think I'm going to lose her...

She's just gasping for air now and not breathing. I think I've lost her now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, is your girl gone ? I'm soooo sorry ! I was thinking she might have been eggbound....carrying eggs but unable to lay them. But I'm so sorry to hear this, poor girl. Are you sure she's passed ? My heart goes out to you ! :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your girl is giving you grief! She appears healthy, just based on the pictures. Is that 13 inches including her tail, or not? She is a very colorful leatherback.
Can you review your tank setup with us, just so we can be sure it is all correct?
Is she losing weight that you can tell yet or just laying around, lethargic?
It is a possibility that she could be brumating or just slowing down some. You know her better than I do, so if she is acting ill, then she could have worms or parasites that are causing her to not feel well.
Are you taking her to the vet on monday then? I would get a fecal to determine whether or not she has worms or parasites.
Oh, she is not breathing at all now? Sorry, I didn't see your last post.

Tracie

Dragonism

Original Poster
Hello everyone. She's gone now. She started relapsing and I rushed her to an emergency vet I discovered. But she didn't make it. She had a seizure and collapsed. The vet couldn't determine anything wrong other than a possible organ failure, most likely renal. He tried supplying her oxygen, but her heart had stopped. Not sure if I'm going to be fit to own another beardie for a while, or ever. She was my first. Thank you for responding anyway though.

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
Really sorry to hear that. :( I don't think there was anything you could have done, just sounds like one of those things that happens. Definitely don't think it had anything to do with offering her veggies. You did your best with her and that's all any of us can do.

Dragonism

Original Poster
I've spent the entire day crying. Its just... so hard to believe she's gone when she was just here. Even after seeing her seize right in my hands when I got her to the vet, that last fighting breath... I'm still asking myself why she isn't here. I know I did all I could but its hard... its really hard and I don't want to keep crying... it happened so suddenly. Charmaine, where are you... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom