Not sure where to put this....dig box for females?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ~8 month old female bearded dragon; I wanted a male but things don't always go as planned lol. She's my baby girl.

I imagine she'll be going through beardie puberty in the nearish future? Females lay eggs whether they're fertilized or not, right? Any she happens to lay will definitely be unfertilized. Does she need a dig box enclosure for egg laying? If so, what sort of material do I put in it? Sand scares me because of the impaction risk, as do pretty much all lose substrates, but if she needs a small area with something like that she'll get it. I currently use all tile and frequently see her exhibiting digging behavior on it. Trying to, anyway.

When she drops her first round, is it ok to immediately remove them and throw them away? That won't cause some kind of psychological damage, will it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

This could have gone in a few places, but health is probably the best spot since it relates to the health of your girl :)

Not all females will lay infertile eggs. Some will do it only once. Some will do multiple clutches a year. It all just seems to be the luck of the draw lol.

As far as what material to use for a lay box, you can use playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it. Others might have some other ideas but I used to just use warm damp sand.

And sometimes, they will lay without a lay box. One day I came home and my girl naughtica had 12 eggs spread out across her tank. And her tank was just tile lol!

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom